Thread: Heads-up Apple IOS 10 coming in September

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Heads-up Apple IOS 10 coming in September

Hey guys, I thought that this was a pretty interesting thread from over in TPC.

It was started as "heads-up" to remind players that Apple's IOS 10 is scheduled to rollout in September. This could have major impact on SP and PG games, especially where older devices are concerned.

Here's a link to PG Wilsoooon's response: https://forums.pocketgems.com/showth...l=1#post597768
    Paradise Cove - Leader of the Darkwings (PM me about joining our guild)

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

Secret Passages - Billionaire Bandits

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Longtime Tapper
    Oh, I don't even have enough memory to upgrade to 9 ...feeling very old and tired!
    Just wish I was normal and liked shopping, I really need a new device, perhaps this will be my motivation, buy one before 10 comes out, although I've never really understood GC. I'm rambling, see, old and tired
    Last edited by Pippy; 08-10-16 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Double

SP can't handle iOS 9.3.3 on my dear old ipad2, so I don't believe for a moment that it will function with iOS 10. Put in a ticket and basically got back a response telling me my device is old and doesn't have enough RAM to run the game. Worked fine before 9.3.3! Now SP crashes almost constantly. No fun to play anymore at all!
    iPad Air 2
    Gamecenter ID: wildflourgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsflobob View Post
    SP can't handle iOS 9.3.3 on my dear old ipad2, so I don't believe for a moment that it will function with iOS 10. Put in a ticket and basically got back a response telling me my device is old and doesn't have enough RAM to run the game. Worked fine before 9.3.3! Now SP crashes almost constantly. No fun to play anymore at all!
    No fun at all, Flobob...sorry you're having problems. I've been experiencing frequent crashes, not constantly but numerous,over the last several days. I'm playing on a mini 3 and have not updated beyond iOS 8.2. I rebooted my device and that seemed to help. This morning, I've played through a couple of energy cycles and it hasn't crashed yet. But the Event is coming up and I look for more crashes to occur...seems to crash more during those times.

It looks like iOS 10 will not even be an option for those with older devices like the iPad 2 and some older iPhone models.
    Last edited by salmo23; 08-11-16 at 07:30 AM.
    "But, time will tell, of stars that fell
    A million years ago.
    Memories can never take you back, home, sweet home.
    You can never go home anymore."

Thanks, Sal! Been researching an upgrade this morning. My birthday's coming up, and I believe an iPad Air 2 will make the perfect self-bought gift! Even if an Air 3 comes out within the next 12 months, the Air 2 will be such an improvement, I won't mind too much...
    iPad Air 2

Mrsflobob, the newest iPad is a Pro. It comes in two sizes. One is bigger than an air and one is about the same size. I have an air2 and it is awesome and does make a great happy birthday to me present. Have fun picking one out. It is fun to get shiny new toys.
    Level 117 just in time.

Intrepid Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsflobob View Post
    Thanks, Sal! Been researching an upgrade this morning. My birthday's coming up, and I believe an iPad Air 2 will make the perfect self-bought gift! Even if an Air 3 comes out within the next 12 months, the Air 2 will be such an improvement, I won't mind too much...
    I bought myself an iPad Air 2 in January and I love it. It is a huge improvement on my old iPad which I now just use for monitoring the forum. You could consider the iPad 4 pro as cosgrove says, it really comes down to money and whether you want the bigger screen or not. I went for weight rather than size as I play SP holding the iPad with one hand and tapping with the other, so weight was important.

Tell you what else. Sometimes, sometimes if you look around during holidays you phone (or other outlet) carrier might offer deals. For instance, when I upgraded to an iPhone 6s last year around at Christmastime, Verizon gave me a deal for switching from AT&T. They upgraded my iPhone to a 6s from a 4s (there was a cost but it was reduced because I was eligible for an upgrade), but they also gave me an iPad 4 mini for FREE! Now, I've heard all kinds of good things about the Pro, but haven't used one yet. I tell you, the iPad 4 mini is nice. It's a lot lighter (obviously) than my old iPad 2, so the hand doesn't cramp up when you're playing SP. I haven't had any crashes playing with it yet, although in full disclosure I use my iPhone 6s about 90% of the time. But I've tried SP, Animal Voyage and Paradise Cove on the mini and no crashes, yet.

I also don't know how the IOS 10 update will affect the mini 4, but right now, it's a heck of a lot faster to load and play SP on the mini versus my old iPad 2. The other thing about the mini and SP is that the detail of the scenes and relics is good on my iPhone 6s, but the mini it's fantastic. Playing SP on it I've been able to see things that I either can't see on the iPhone 6s or if I can see it, the details and clarity are tremendous on the mini. Maybe somebody who use a Pro can compare and contrast for us. I know Darkangel uses an iPad Air Pro. DA, any comment?
    Paradise Cove - Leader of the Darkwings (PM me about joining our guild)

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

Secret Passages - Billionaire Bandits

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Longtime Tapper Primitive Caveman's Avatar
    Yup, I can vouch for the mini4 love, as I've mentioned a couple of times before. Been on it since last October and it really changed my game experience. At most 2 or 3 crashes in the past 10/ 11 months, and quite possibly those were all due to watching videos.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the update then.

Thanks everybody for the input. I love the size of my iPad 2, so I'm pretty committed to keeping that constant, and my aging eyes will probably thank me later. The Pro just looks like overkill to me as I won't be making movies, artwork or business presentations with my tablet and would rather not spend the extra couple hundred for it. Definitely looking forward to the lighter weight!
    iPad Air 2

Intrepid Explorer
    Love my IPAD II air. I am an avid reader and it is just right.

Hey Flobob,

First, I noticed your avatar...then, I noticed your new sig line...

Enjoy your new iPad!

PG rolled out a new update in CL a few days ago for iOS 10 optimizations...
    Last edited by salmo23; 08-20-16 at 11:22 PM.
    "But, time will tell, of stars that fell
    A million years ago.
    Memories can never take you back, home, sweet home.
    You can never go home anymore."