Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update Regarding Forums and the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    Hi everyone,

It is with regret that we must announce that we will be closing the Pocket Gems forum at the end of the month. This is due to the limited resources we have to maintain compliance with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). I want to also be sure to note that this does not affect our War Dragons or Episode Interactive forums. It has been a great run and we truly want to thank you all for being the best community we really could have ever asked for. Each forum’s community was shaped by the contribution of everyone. We would like to thank you all for your commitment to helping each other out and making this forum the best it could be.

We will still be sure to provide any updates on the status of our games as we go on through in-game messages.

Jesse
    Really ? So this is pg’s way of saying that there is no fix.. i seem to recall that every ticket i submitted and have seen others submit saying on the bottom part of the message” when we have some news it will be posted on the forum” . Were will it be posted know?How will we find out the progress of the fix. People, get real, it’s sounds like they are getting ready to pull the plug on paradise cove and there is nothing you can say or do as it won’t be heard. We have been without the game for 5 months and have been anxiously waiting for this mystical fix.Thank you Pg for your piss poor effort and I and i’m sure many others will never invest in a game of yours again...ever...Harsh you might think? Well,as the old classic line from Clark Gable goes,” frankly my dear i don’t give a damn”
    Anthony signing of for probably the last time thanks to pg...again

Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    Really ? So this is pg’s way of saying that there is no fix.. i seem to recall that every ticket i submitted and have seen others submit saying on the bottom part of the message” when we have some news it will be posted on the forum” . Were will it be posted know?How will we find out the progress of the fix. People, get real, it’s sounds like they are getting ready to pull the plug on paradise cove and there is nothing you can say or do as it won’t be heard. We have been without the game for 5 months and have been anxiously waiting for this mystical fix.Thank you Pg for your piss poor effort and I and i’m sure many others will never invest in a game of yours again...ever...Harsh you might think? Well,as the old classic line from Clark Gable goes,” frankly my dear i don’t give a damn”
    Anthony signing of for probably the last time thanks to pg...again
    I think it's called, burying your head in the sand Anthony.
    Now where's the vasoline, we're about to get shafted!!!!!!!!!
    Leader of the 501st

I need to say that I am terribly sad for those who missed the last five months of playing TPC.

But I also need to say, until the past 8 months, there were glitches but PG kept this game going much longer than they planned.
    It was not built on a platform meant to grow in the way that it did. And so I am grateful for the extended play we got from the game and PG.

Yes, there have been problems but part of the reason we are upset is that we have all enjoyed so many things that TPC brought to all of us. For that, I am grateful.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

Darkly Angelic Member darkangel's Avatar
    I will do my best to get answers to all the issues before the forum closes down. Especially on the lock out front. If things get really bad for anyone you are always welcome to email me on my guild email address.

I cannot promise I will get all the answers before then, but I will do my best. I have already asked if they can find a place on the other forums to leave announcements for their casual games.

I have put so much time and effort on the forums. It would make me feel very sad if they remove the forums completely.

"If you and I are silent, who will teach the ignorant"

giraffe510 I like how you said the reason we get so upset is that we have enjoyed so many things the game brought to all of us. I also love your reminder that PG probably never envisioned keeping the games going this long and even if they had they probably envisioned a version 2 or something like that with shiny new technology not trying to keep old technology working as it got increasingly outdated. I also love your signature about when love overcomes the desire for power we will know peace.

Dark Angel can CL players contact you at your guild email address & if so would you mind posting it on the CL forum for us? You seem to have contacts at PG and get back to us way faster than PG support does. Plus, if we all stay in contact some where hopefully we can save PG time by avoiding duplicate tickets so they can focus on fixing things or making cool new stuff.
    Enjoying Campus Life since Sept. 2012! *Hope more people keep playing CL & other PG games*

Thank you, Imani. That is very nice of you.
    Pink is planning on making a CL slot for you on our new board but you may already have seen that.

As I said, I am hoping they keep the threads as I was searching them today to help a newer player. Would have to go to the TPC wiki page if they remove the forum completely.
    Last edited by giraffe510; 05-16-18 at 08:51 PM.

giraffe510 I saw the new CL section!

Transferring information if needed If PG cannot keep the forum open as a reference is there an easy (or at least a not hard) way to get the reference information we need though I suspect it will be even more extensive and difficult for TPC than CL.
    Enjoying Campus Life since Sept. 2012! *Hope more people keep playing CL & other PG games*

Darkly Angelic Member darkangel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Imani View Post
    giraffe510 I like how you said the reason we get so upset is that we have enjoyed so many things the game brought to all of us. I also love your reminder that PG probably never envisioned keeping the games going this long and even if they had they probably envisioned a version 2 or something like that with shiny new technology not trying to keep old technology working as it got increasingly outdated. I also love your signature about when love overcomes the desire for power we will know peace.

Dark Angel can CL players contact you at your guild email address & if so would you mind posting it on the CL forum for us? You seem to have contacts at PG and get back to us way faster than PG support does. Plus, if we all stay in contact some where hopefully we can save PG time by avoiding duplicate tickets so they can focus on fixing things or making cool new stuff.
    Yes Imani they can and I have posted it.

"If you and I are silent, who will teach the ignorant"

Dark Angel thanks again. Sorry to have similar conversations in different places but the forum news is posted throughout and has players in different sub-forums continuing the discussion.

Longtime Tapper
    I feel sad. For years, I passed hours and hours reading all posts and trying to help players.
    For years, I try to keep hope alive when it seems so little hope.

For me it is clear. PG closing this forum means they are closing also the game.
    Closing this forum is a way to stop all communication between players. Never good...
    So they won’t have a bad reaction on this forum when they will annonce the closing.

I know that it is not logical, but I feel betrayed by PG...
    I cannot stop me thinking that maybe PG hoped that the cheaters will turn down the players and then they will be able to close the game more easily... no logical, but...

Thank you all participants of this forum. This forum has been informative, fun because of you.
    I wish all of you to find a new game where you will be able to find back what you loose here.

Good luck
    Damedesetoiles/Ladyofthestars
    Officer of TPCPirates

Damedesetoiles - I agree in that I like to be hopeful but sometimes the news we get is discouraging. PG has not said they are ending the game and there is still a fan base, so I am hoping it will continue for longer. There really is a new law, so it could be too difficult for them to make the necessary changes especially since these games are older and the forum probably does not help them generate revenue. I am disappointed and while I do not feel betrayed I think that reaction makes sense in a way. I agree that sometimes what we see PG doing makes no sense and the only logical conclusion seems to be they do not care and just want enough people to quit so they can shut down the game. I do not think they can stop us from communicating with each other. Players suggested other places to move the discussion including another forum. Without a PG sponsored/ run forum, they will not have to communicate with us here or take time for it - it will have to be support tickets or in game messages. I plan to keep playing and being on a forum until I cannot. I refuse to let PG or anyone else dictate what I do. I love CL - for me there is no other game so I will not leave it just because I do not like some of their decisions or even when it seems like they do not care or have time for the game. I am not trying to tell you what to do because I do not know what's best for you and I can imagine the disappointments could be too much for some people. I just wanted to let you know a lot of what you said makes sense & I think many of us have had similar thoughts and feelings

A long time ago Nic, an employee of PG posted this, in answer to how did TPC get a 4.5 star rating.

Thread
    https://forums.pocketgems.com/showth...more-like-hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    This forum's original, and continuing, function is a support forum, i.e. a place for people who have problems with our games. It's great when people discuss the merits of our games too, but I think that the motivation to come here is primarily from experiencing some problem. On the other hand, it's much easier to leave a review. I think that people who have a really negative experience will leave a low review and perhaps come here, those who really, really enjoy our games will leave a high review and perhaps come here, and everyone in between might leave a review and just maybe will come here (but probably not, since you have to track it down then make an account).

I tend to use the reviews and the forums together as a meter. Lots of low reviews and angry posts=something big is wrong. Medium to high reviews and annoyed posts=some stuff is wrong. Medium to high reviews and lots of glowing posts=I must be on the wrong forum.
    Nearly 6 years later this game plays on, players have come, and players have gone, some for a short time, others for the long haul. There are even those to left and returned, months or years later, and others, who try to leave, but don’t quite make it.

Some things have changed, versus and guilds, battling and more battling, some things have stayed the same, crashes, lockouts, and Ruby spending. But it’s still has the glorious designs in the ships and building, great people on the forum to chat with and help free asked for and given.
    Over those years people have been predicting its demise over and over again, and yet it’s still here. I wonder for how long.

This forum, with all its good points and bad, will be sorely missed. Thank goodness for Pinks initiative in starting a new one.
    There is no fairness or consistency in TPC; so just because you have it in your cove, it may not be the case for everyone. And just because everyone else has it, doesn't mean you will. Except crashing, everybody has crashing!

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel View Post

I have put so much time and effort on the forums. It would make me feel very sad if they remove the forums completely.
    We have locked horns a few times but then always seem to kiss and get on with it. We have shared a few personal moments as well.
    I, like you feel sad given the time and effort I have spent on SP. Obviously I havent been at it as long as you and I tended to stick to one game where you my friend played them all and I salute you.
    —————
    Your Longleggedness
    All my best wishes to you and yours.
    —————-

WOW I just looked at the PG forum ‘join’ date of some of you still posting. Respect to all of you.
    Last edited by Spanish eyes; Yesterday at 03:05 AM.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

Thanks, SE...be well and enJOY...like me, I know you will wherever life takes you...

Hi everyone,

It is with regret that we must announce that we will be closing the Pocket Gems forum at the end of the month. This is due to the limited resources we have to maintain compliance with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). I want to also be sure to note that this does not affect our War Dragons or Episode Interactive forums. It has been a great run and we truly want to thank you all for being the best community we really could have ever asked for. Each forum’s community was shaped by the contribution of everyone. We would like to thank you all for your commitment to helping each other out and making this forum the best it could be.

We will still be sure to provide any updates on the status of our games as we go on through in-game messages.

Jesse
    What does this mean? Can you explain why you must close the Paradise Cove forum as well as any other PG forums except War Dragons & Épisodes in order to be able to comply with the new general data protection regulations? I really do not understand?

I know from where I work that this new general data regulations in the EU are very strict and it can get very expensive for a company when you don't follow the rules. This means PG would have to monitor their forums very well. And I suspect they just don't have the resources to do that. I don't think they are here very often, which they would need to be from May 25. so I think closing all the forums they don't invest much into it anymore is just the easiest and the safest way for them. Not that I approve this decision. I'm also very sad about it.
    Officer of CrazyCanucks1

Hi everyone,

Jesse
    A quick question PG if i may.
    This announcement is regarding Data Protection. So why doesn't it affect your War Dragons Forum?
    Please forgive me if i'm wrong, but data protection is data protection within all forums, so why single out Paradise Cove?
    Leader of the 501st

Longtime Tapper
    Imani, thank you. :-)

I truly do not know what PG will do but reading that ‘PG will still be sure to provide any updates on the status of our games’ made me feeling sad and emotional. Maybe it is because the level of my English, but talking about ‘update on the status of their game’ is not something really reassuring. Sorry it is hard to explain what I see there. However, thanks to PinkPanther, we will be able to continue to communicate to the very end. I already have register to the other forum.

And I will not quit the game. I never thought to do it. I have a team!...And I want and will be there for them until the very end :-)
    Officer of TPCPirates

What I want to know is when the end comes will PG just post a couple of lines when you log into the game and if so how much notice will they give us?
    'I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer' - Dune litany. F.Herbert
    Home is where the heart is. My heart belongs to Roughseas

Help !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahharr View Post
    What I want to know is when the end comes will PG just post a couple of lines when you log into the game and if so how much notice will they give us?
    We are the example! It was excluded from the game for 5 months and we were not notified. We paid for six years and we fought (I got up at night to do the job.) Rewards, thousands of people excluded! That's why the forum is over, so you can not see the PG crying! Hello.

Here is a snip of one of Jesse's posts dated 4/4/17 in reference to the first slowing down of Campus Life. Note the timeframe he indicated in regards to giving notice of what I'd be guessing is the eventual shut down... Using this reference, it appears, then, that we still will enjoy the game for at least three more months, even if the in-game shut down notification comes within a couple weeks... I'd presume this timeframe to apply to PC as well.

"... We want to try to make this as gradual of transition as we can and feel that an important part of that is letting you, our dedicated player-base, know what to expect. We don’t have any plans to shutter Campus Life in the foreseeable future, but if we are going to make any changes we plan to give everyone a heads up around 3 months ahead of time..."
    "What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist." -- Salman Rushdie

Help!!!

We are the example! It was excluded from the game for 5 months and we were not notified. We paid for six years and we fought (I got up at night to do the job.) Rewards, thousands of people excluded! That's why the forum is over, so you can not see the PG crying! Hello.

Longtime Tapper
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanU View Post
    A quick question PG if i may.
    This announcement is regarding Data Protection. So why doesn't it affect your War Dragons Forum?
    Please forgive me if i'm wrong, but data protection is data protection within all forums, so why single out Paradise Cove?
    Hiding behind GDPR is utter BS. This has zero impact on a forum such as this, it's about the collection and processing of individual's data. They hold our emails, that's it, and they don't contact us or use our data in any way other than our own logins (unless they've previously sold this information to third parties).

The methods they are using to protect data on the other forums can be very very very easily replicated on this forum. They just don't want to keep this one open and, as many have said, it's another nail in the coffin and they'd rather remove our voice than continue to hear the constant complaints of issues cheaters etc. within the game.

If you don't want to continue the forum then fine, but using this piece of legislation to hide behind is cowardly.

It does seem to me that the easiest way to conform to the new GDPR regulations is to simply have someone from PG look at the forum and remove the posts/threads that would cause trouble. Surely someone at PG must have a few minutes during the day/night to simply get on the forum and see what is posted. If a troubling post is seen, pull the thread off. This has happened in the past. I get it, these games are not as profitable as War Dragons. The new, shiny, super game PG is pouring it's resources into. And I understand that TPC and other games covered on this forum have had a long run as far as games go. But...........

All it would take is 1 employee to get on the forum once or twice a day and just peruse the titles of the threads. They would only have to look for a few minutes to see what is posted. Heck, if I worked for PG I would do that on my own time!

At any rate, because I posted stories that PG used to design ships, and through my Zippy stories, I have made my mark on the game. And it saddens me to see that PG is just going to pull the plug and consign EVERYONE'S hard work, funny stories, suggestions, birthday celebrations, information, etc. to the dust bin!

Long live Zippy!
    Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
    Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Longtime Tapper
    I remember having read in some PG’s message that this forum is not PG’s . It belongs to another company who manages it. At least, it was like that last year or so. I do not know how the law applies in those cases.

However, it is clear that PG does not want to spend any extra money in this game. In my memory, PG started to walk away of this game when the company got chinese investment and then created Dragon wars. If you make a research on the Web, you will see that the company decided at that time to invest in new technology to develop new type of interactive games. In some way, it is because they did make money with the game that they continue to keep the game alive until now. In some way, we can only appreciate the fact we got a lot more time to play this game than what was planned at the beginning.

This game has always been a frustrating one, as long I remember it (beginning of 2004). Thus we should not be surprise that the frustration will be there until the very end.

We have all different and similar reasons to be frustrated and angry. However I suggest we pass over it and we keep playing and having fun, having a thought to all players who are not able to do it for a while now. Sure they would like to be able to play, being glad to have our chance (the ones who still able to play).

It doesn not mean to ignore the anger and frustration, but it does not make sense for me to stay in a game or in a forum if that game or forum does not bring some positive thing in our life and especially when that game and forum are going down. Life is too short and precious to waste it that way! Thus in some way, we must find a personal reason to continue to play this game if we do not quit it because I do not think PG will change their mind Because their players are frustrated.

That game is still alive even with all the frustration it generated. It is alive because us, players, who found a way to manage it and find a way to stay positive! The fun to share with other players is an important part of that success. Lets having it until the end if we decide to stay in that game.

For the ones who are out, I can only understand your anger and frustration. There is nothing else I can do for you....unfortunately.
    Last edited by Damedesetoiles; Today at 11:43 AM.
    Officer of TPCPirates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast