Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news!

The turtle:

Name:  IMG_7683[1].jpg
Views: 374
Size:  16.7 KB

I tried to post the picture when I posted the story, and every time I tried to attach it, my computer locked up. Like I said, this turtle is trouble.
    "You remind me of a poem I can't remember, a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." Abe Simpson

Member Vaders_Fist_2

I had an interesting evening yesterday. My hubby went to bed early. Way before me, which is unusual. I was in the living room talking to him which is also unusual. It is not that I don't want to sit and talk to him, but he tends to watch things on tv that I do not want to watch.

The man will watch "O, Brother Where Art Thou" and "Forrest Gump". I detest both of those movies and watching them one time was one too many! I usually watch tv in the bedroom. I had seen the episode that was playing on Investigation Discovery, and switched over to "Outrageous Acts of Science". I could tell he was watching the same thing, and I walked to the living room and sat down to watch it with him. Five minutes later he announces he is going to bed. And off he goes, leaving me sitting in the living room by myself.

Not five minutes after he went to bed, I had some company pop in for a visit. A friend who is easy to talk to. Very nice guy. Has a great sense of humor. Loves the outdoors. We chatted for a while, and after the OAofS program was over, I switched the channel for a new murder mystery. I watched it while visiting with my friend.

I noticed when I got up to do the Radish Ship quest that my friend is still officially visiting.

Oh, did anyone think I had actual company? In RL? No, my friend is a virtual visitor. But that is okay. I did not have to tidy up the living room, or worry about how my hair looked, or if my dogs would sit and bark at him the whole time he was visiting, or any of the other things I might have worried about if I had a friend visit in RL.

Notice I said "might" have worried about. I am pretty laid back when friends do visit in RL. If the living room does not look as if it could be featured in a magazine spread, I don't get too worried about it.

The good news is that I had a lovely visit with a friend. How long this visit may last is something I can't answer. It is what it is. It will be fun while it lasts.
    "You remind me of a poem I can't remember, a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." Abe Simpson

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_2375.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  95.9 KB
    Tight is tight and too tight is broken.

Officer of Warrior Family

The good news for today is that my hubby cleaned the gutters and mowed the lawn a few days ago. Why is this good news?

Because it is pouring down rain, and since the gutters are clean they will not back up and overflow. And because as soon as the storms pass and the sun comes out the grass will grow like crazy.

Two summers ago he bought a zero-turn radius riding mower and I keep telling him it is too complicated for me to use. Which is funny because I learned to fly a plane and I can drive our tractor. Lawn mower would be easy to drive. But if I pretend I can't manage it, he mows. Of course with the new mower he zips through the chore in no time. And with all the rain we have had lately, he will be mowing the lawn again in no time.

Good news is he loves me enough to let me get away with not wanting to learn how to drive the new mower.

There is plenty of time to join me in Vaders_Fist_2 before the next guild battle.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Good news/bad news.

Al, of Al's Cheesecakes, has packed up his trailer and headed up to Michigan for the summer. No cheesecake for me until he returns in September.

Good news because I am doing well on my walking/jogging. I jog most of the 1 1/2 mile trail now.

Bad news because I love cheesecake and buying it by the slice from Al supports one of the smallest businesses in town. Three months without cheesecake is a long time.

At least Steve stays open for the summer. He takes his vacation December through January. I can get a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich from Steve's. Since I can't just go have Johnny fix me a cheesesteak sandwich, I have to be content with the best cheesesteak sandwich available in my area.

I believe in supporting local small businesses, and when those small businesses sell good food, I make it a point to support them.

Join me before the next guild battle and we can talk food.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Today's good news is easy.

The ruby ship is the Vampire Ship. And since Igota asked for it in another thread, and I said I would buy it if it was offered......

Yes, it is in my cove.

Easy decision.

"I saw it and I had to have it!"

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Quote Originally Posted by 38supercomp View Post
    Today's good news is easy.

The ruby ship is the Vampire Ship. And since Igota asked for it in another thread, and I said I would buy it if it was offered......

Yes, it is in my cove.

Easy decision.

"I saw it and I had to have it!"
    SC:

Ha, ha! The Skeleton Crew is going to give me a big head if they continue to listen to me!

Go ahead, ask me for anything! I can make it rain in the forum if you want. LMAO!
    Paradise Cove - Leader of the Darkwings (PM me about joining our guild)

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

Secret Passages - Billionaire Bandits

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

I read Igota's post last night, and had to laugh.

But this morning it is raining. In my RL location. That means no walking/jogging.

My fat cells are cheering.

My brain is telling me that skipping a day of walking/jogging is not good.

My fat cells are cheering louder.

But the really good news is that the migraine headache I have had for about five days is gone! I actually feel really good this morning. It is a good day, indeed.

Still time to join me before the lockout for the weekend's guild battle.

Vaders_Fist_2. Join me and we can talk about the weather, or jogging, or diet tips. Or whatever you would like to talk about.
    Or join me and we don't have to talk. Just fight together, and collect shovels together, and do piratey things together.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Today's good news is easy. "Easy like Sunday morning", to quote a song.

Fleet quest coming this week. I am not a fan of the mind-numbing, sit and bang away at the same ship over and over fleet quests. But....................................

"Defeat Blister Beetle"!

And who mentioned a quest back in April that had bugs or beetles attacking our coves? With pictures of blister beetles?

Yep. This girl!

The good news is that I will get to see what PG does with my blister beetle idea.

At this point, I really did not think there was hope of getting another quest based on my ideas. It is nice to know that PG hasn't tuned me out completely.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

I am really torn about the idea of keeping animals in zoos.

On one hand, I visited the Bronx Zoo several times as a child. I loved seeing all of the animals.

If animals are kept in humane conditions, in large enclosures, and well-cared for, it gives people an opportunity to see them which they would otherwise not have.

Unfortunately, there are too many instances of mistreatment of animals in zoos large and small across the world. A recent case which made me sick to my stomach was of a so-called 'sanctuary' for large cats (lions, tigers) which barely received any news coverage. The owners could no longer care for the animals, and they euthanized all of them. They did not approach any other sanctuaries to ask if someone else could take in the animals. They simply put all of them down.

And now you are wondering where is the good news?

I found the following pictures online. This is the sort of thing that makes me smile. The bears might be in captivity, but they live where people care for them, and try to make their lives a bit more fun.

Name:  IMG_8084[1].jpg
Views: 267
Size:  15.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8085[1].jpg
Views: 264
Size:  14.2 KB

If a bear has to live at the zoo, then I applaud the keepers who provide it with a kiddie pool of ice cubes to play in.

And these three cubs and their mother enjoyed a pile of ice cubes.

Name:  IMG_8086[1].jpg
Views: 268
Size:  12.9 KB

Sometimes the best place for the bear is a zoo. I hate to say that, but if a mama bear gets too used to foraging in garbage cans and dumpsters near campsites or homes, there are only a few choices in order to keep the bears and the people around them safe. Relocation away from the campsites or homes does not always work. Bears will return to the places they find easy food sources. And if that food source puts them in direct conflict with people, the other options are not good for the bears. it is a dilemma for which there is no easy answer.

But the good news is that there are some zoos which provide piles of ice cubes for their bears to play in.

There is a company which makes and bags ice cubes for sale to local convenience stores near our shop. They dump the first run of cubes out every day, in order to make sure there are no misshapen ice cubes. I always want to stop and roll around in the piles of ice cubes this time of year. I would be like the little bear cubs. I wonder if they would call the police if I actually dared to stop and play in the piles of ice cubes?
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 06-28-17 at 11:10 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

The pirate bug ships for fleet quest are just what I pictured back in April when I posted my story about giant bugs attacking our coves.

Seeing my idea come to life is the good news of the day.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Today is July 2.

(Happy Birthday, Mugs and Cindpi!)

July fourth is a day of celebration in the US, complete with fireworks.

I love to watch televised fireworks shows. The Grucci family of Italy is famous for it's fireworks shows. The Zambelli family is another famous Italian family known for large, amazing prize-winning fireworks shows. There are others as well, of course, but since my mother's parents came to the US from Italy, I thought I would mention those two.

The following are not all Fourth of July fireworks, but I liked the images. One thing a lot of us have in common, other than liking to sink ships, is that we enjoy fireworks displays. Maybe not each of us singularly, but watch tv at midnight your time on New Year's Eve, and you will see amazing fireworks displays from around the world.

Name:  IMG_8228[1].jpg
Views: 253
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8229[1].jpg
Views: 247
Size:  12.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8230[1].jpg
Views: 243
Size:  7.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8235[1].jpg
Views: 239
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8236[1].jpg
Views: 246
Size:  20.0 KB

Just the fact that someone has figured out how to pack exactly the right ingredients in the right quantity and order to get these effects is amazing.

The colors, the designs, the fact that the shows are set to music, standing in a crowd and seeing the fireworks explode and saying "oooohhhhh" just as the person next to you says, "aaahhhhh!" Or sitting in my living room watching it on tv and not having to drive, get bitten by mosquitoes, pay to attend, get stuck in traffic. No matter how I watch the fireworks show, I love them!

The best fireworks shows are the free ones!

And the good news is that one of my neighbors puts on a big show every year. I can sit on my deck and watch the show for free. Every New Year's Eve, and every Fourth of July. As soon as the fireworks go off, if I am sleeping I wake up and go watch. If I am still awake, I just go outside and watch the show.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

It is pouring rain right now. If it is raining when we normally go walking we won't be able to walk. Oh, darn!! But it would give me extra time to battle bug number three. Ha, take that, giant Beetle!

And PG gave me back the 45 rubies I foolishly paid to skip the missing quest. Who really thought they would work over the weekend to fix the problem?! Not me obviously. Hey, CaptainObvious would be a great name for a pirate. I wonder if anyone uses that name already?

The good news is that with all the rain this morning, the Fourth of July fireworks in my area can proceed as planned. Low fire danger means light em up and shoot em off!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_8235[1].jpg
Views: 221
Size:  19.7 KB

I am celebrating.

But not Independence Day.

Name:  IMG_8305[1].jpg
Views: 233
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8301[1].jpg
Views: 222
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8302[1].jpg
Views: 226
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8303[1].jpg
Views: 226
Size:  20.3 KB

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_0251[1].jpg
Views: 223
Size:  112.0 KB

I took this picture with my iPhone. It is looking north from the house. I love to watch the clouds. I think the storms have passed us. It was not a very colorful sunset, but I was practicing using my phone to take pictures and I decided to post this one.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 07-04-17 at 06:31 PM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

The good news for today is that I have met some really wonderful people playing this game.

When I read what Igota posts, I have several reactions. He makes me smile, and sometimes laugh out loud. He also makes me think, because he is very insightful and concise. His posts are spot on. Igota, I salute you!

This morning I posted birthday wishes for Nickle. I saw a few minutes ago she had added birthday wishes for a fellow Pearl Jam fan. I love that people use the birthday wish thread to post messages for other players. I know quite a few birthdays, but there are so many players in the game who should be celebrated. Every person in this game is special, and every day is precious. We should celebrate one another's lives.

I love visiting with people from South Africa, Romania, Norway, Wales, Great Britain, Scotland, Mexico, California, Viet Nam, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and every other country represented by people who play this game. And yes, I know California is a state, but to me it is like another country! Seriously, one of the best suggestions ever in the game was the around the world coin ships. We have an opportunity to see landmarks from other places, and to learn a bit about other cultures. A player on a GroupMe group I am in researches each place mentioned, and posts pictures of the actual landmark. Very fun, very informative, and very much appreciated!

What started as a simple game, a way to pass (or waste!) time, has become, for me at least, a fun way to meet and talk to people. Oh, the conversations I've had! The places I have been, thanks to your words, your pictures! The talent I have seen, thanks to pictures people have posted on the forum, in the tavern and in the chat groups I am in.

I celebrate all of you - the artists, the nurses, the mountain bikers, the fellow chocoholics, the cake lovers, the moms and dads and grandparents, the truck drivers, the HART paramedics, the coaches, the casual pirates and the obsessed-with-the-game pirates.

I love to see the game names as I take down your ships. There are some really creative names out there. It makes me wonder about the stories behind some of them.

Despite our differences - age, gender, physical location, politics, religions - we have found something in common. We all love to play pirate.

Happy tapping, everyone. Long live TPC and the fun we have in our coves!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Amen!

I am thinking about a new signature line.

Contenders:

No slipping up if you slip away, (from Dear Evan Hansen).

You've gotta love like there's no such thing as a broken heart, (Old Dominion).

I can fix a drink, (Chris Jansen). Which is funny because I don't drink. But I heard the song and it is stuck in my head.

"Well, it's hotter than hell outside right now
    It's 100 in the shade with the sun beating down
    Forecast calling for more of the same
    Well I can't fix that but I can fix a drink.

But I can fix a drink, pour it on ice
    Mix it on up and get'cha feeling right
    I can get'cha buzzed, I can get'cha smiling
    I can make you feel like you're sitting on an island."

A little long, but I am thinking about using just part of it.

What do you all think?

And, please, if you drink, drink responsibly. No drinking and driving. No no no.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 07-10-17 at 02:20 PM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Quote Originally Posted by 38supercomp View Post
    The good news for today is that I have met some really wonderful people playing this game.

When I read what Igota posts, I have several reactions. He makes me smile, and sometimes laugh out loud. He also makes me think, because he is very insightful and concise. His posts are spot on. Igota, I salute you!

This morning I posted birthday wishes for Nickle. I saw a few minutes ago she had added birthday wishes for a fellow Pearl Jam fan. I love that people use the birthday wish thread to post messages for other players. I know quite a few birthdays, but there are so many players in the game who should be celebrated. Every person in this game is special, and every day is precious. We should celebrate one another's lives.

I love visiting with people from South Africa, Romania, Norway, Wales, Great Britain, Scotland, Mexico, California, Viet Nam, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and every other country represented by people who play this game. And yes, I know California is a state, but to me it is like another country! Seriously, one of the best suggestions ever in the game was the around the world coin ships. We have an opportunity to see landmarks from other places, and to learn a bit about other cultures. A player on a GroupMe group I am in researches each place mentioned, and posts pictures of the actual landmark. Very fun, very informative, and very much appreciated!

What started as a simple game, a way to pass (or waste!) time, has become, for me at least, a fun way to meet and talk to people. Oh, the conversations I've had! The places I have been, thanks to your words, your pictures! The talent I have seen, thanks to pictures people have posted on the forum, in the tavern and in the chat groups I am in.

I celebrate all of you - the artists, the nurses, the mountain bikers, the fellow chocoholics, the cake lovers, the moms and dads and grandparents, the truck drivers, the HART paramedics, the coaches, the casual pirates and the obsessed-with-the-game pirates.

I love to see the game names as I take down your ships. There are some really creative names out there. It makes me wonder about the stories behind some of them.

Despite our differences - age, gender, physical location, politics, religions - we have found something in common. We all love to play pirate.

Happy tapping, everyone. Long live TPC and the fun we have in our coves!
    Well said SC
    TPC - Level 83 Mrs Ripple, Officer of the Darkwings
    TPC - Level 67 Raiding Queen, Leader of the Darkraiders PM me if you want to join us or email thedarkraiders@mail.com

Support IDs: 9NQY72WE47 and 6R0HQ92TQC

I had to do some shopping yesterday. Socks were not on the list, but I saw these:

Name:  IMG_0255[1].jpg
Views: 158
Size:  113.0 KB

As the Borg would say: Resistance is futile.

As Yoda would say: The socks you want, these are!

No Raid required!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_0256[1].jpg
Views: 136
Size:  113.5 KB

My new socks make me want to dance!

Which is funny, because I ain't got no rhythm!

Seriously, I am probably the worst dancer in the world. But sometimes you have to dance like no one is watching!

Join me in my guild Vaders_Fist_2 and we can talk music. Or dancing. Or what makes you happy. Or what kind of socks you wear.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_8678.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  79.7 KB

When I need a cookie dough fix, now I don't need to mix it myself. This is just for eating raw. Not intended to be baked into cookies. I am in cookie dough heaven.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

I read a very interesting article online about why older people sleep less as they get older. The good news is, I am getting older. My mother died at age 47, my father at age 59, and I consider my extra years past their end of life ages a bonus.

Anyway, a group of scientists studied several groups of people who still live "hunter/gatherer" lifestyles. The scientists monitored the groups 24/7 for months. Their findings may not be a definitive answer, but provide some interesting data.

The scientists monitored the groups during blocks of 200 hours of "sleep" time. Taking into account the number of people in each group, the time of day when the sun went down, geographic location, local wildlife that could prey on the people in the group, and a few other factors; the scientists found that during each 200 hour block, there were no more than 18 minutes when the whole group was asleep at one time. In simple terms, someone was almost always awake while the majority slept soundly. Usually the older members of the group, who tended to sleep lightly and wake easily. Those who were awake came to alertness, and then fell back asleep, but woke again at the slightest noise.

Think about that for just a moment. 200 hours, times 60 minutes to the hour, equals 12,000 minutes. And 18 minutes out of 12,000 is a tiny amount. Supposing a baseline of 8 hours sleep time a night, that is 25 nights. 18 minutes out of 25 nights is not much at all.

This actually makes a great deal of sense. If you live in an area where lions or tigers or bears are apt to stalk your family group, you do not want everyone to be sound asleep at the same time. If everyone is sound asleep, the lion, tiger or bear just walks in and grabs someone for dinner. And not in a nice way!

If someone is wakeful, someone will be able to sound the alert and let everyone know the lion, tiger or bear is looking for dinner in all the wrong places.

Younger people are more apt to do the majority of the sleeping. Everyone knows growing children need more sleep. Teenagers, and people in their early 20s to 40s are apt to be doing most of the heavy work in hunter/gatherer groups. (Unlike teenagers in the US who seem determined to avoid work at all costs, and people who will put more effort into finding a way to not work than it would have taken to complete the task in the first place. Sorry, but as I get older, I see people in the US getting lazier.)

The scientists have decided that one possible reason older people tend to sleep less, and to not sleep soundly through the night, is a throwback to a time in the history of mankind when everyone lived a hunter/gatherer type life. The older people in the group tended to be the most responsible for keeping everyone safe. And as they got older and did less physical work, they developed the ability to cope with less sleep and to wake easily in order to be on guard against predators.

It makes sense to me. It may not be the complete or only reason, but it is the one I am going to use from now on to explain my poor sleep habits.

The good news is that if I am ever lost in a place inhabited by lions, tigers and bears, I should be able to stay wakeful and stay alive. "Should be" and "if" are subjective though. With my luck, the predator would strike just when I finally did fall asleep. I can just see the scenario now - the lioness slinks into camp, slowly edging towards the group I am with. She makes her way to my sleeping bag and thinks, "here's a plump little morsel" and bam! She drags me off into the brush before I can wake up and scream. And my hubby, who really is a sound sleeper, doesn't wake up for several hours.

Yes, I have a vivid imagination. If anyone ever invented a device to let us record our dreams, I think I would be afraid to watch mine. But you have to admit, if you read my posts, I make you laugh, think, wonder at my sanity. All in all a good day for someone who loves to tell stories.

Join me in Vaders_Fist_2 and I will entertain you in game chat!
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 07-18-17 at 06:33 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

The last customer of the day just left. YAY!!!!!

7:30am till 5:10 pm makes a long day.

Especially since:

Name:  IMG_0262[1].jpg
Views: 84
Size:  115.7 KB

Well, I have no idea why it is sideways. But you get the point.

98 degrees and 50% humidity. Arrrrrrghhhhhhh!

And that is not the hottest spot in the shop. That is by the back door where it is a bit cooler than where my desk is.

The good news is I sweat off a bit of weight every day, even if we don't walk.

Update:

This day just keeps getting better. NOT! Just got home and it is 90 degrees in the house! Central air unit is blowing out hot air. And of course, all ac repairmen are done for the day.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 07-20-17 at 04:21 PM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

The good news is that the AC guy can come to the house some time today. Whether or not he can fix the unit is another question.

But............................................... ...................

I found these yesterday......................................... ...........

Name:  IMG_8873[1].jpg
Views: 74
Size:  87.8 KB

And my hubby's workshop has a window AC. If we have no ac when we get home, I will be putting the kayaks and his table saw out on the porch of the building and me and the dachshunds will sleep in the workshop. He can sleep wherever he wants to, but me and the dogs will be sleeping on a pallet in the workshop.

If the Cookie Dough does not get me through the weekend, the Oreos will help!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast