Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Good news!

Igotahavit - thank you for your perfect post.

The good news is my hubby has repented of his evil tree-killing ways, at least temporarily. No trees have been killed since last Sunday. Oh, wait, he has not mowed or bush-hogged since last Sunday. We shall see what happens this weekend.

For people who like unicorns, sparkles or Froot Loops, may I present:

Name:  IMG_0549[1].jpg
Views: 309
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0550[1].jpg
Views: 299
Size:  19.0 KB

Personally, I love unicorns, but not Froot Loops. My unicorn picks would run to socks. Or tee shirts.

Name:  IMG_0559[1].jpg
Views: 295
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0560[1].jpg
Views: 306
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0561[1].jpg
Views: 304
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0562[1].jpg
Views: 305
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0564[1].jpg
Views: 294
Size:  63.6 KB

I love these socks:

Unicorn vs Narwhal

Name:  IMG_0573[1].jpg
Views: 300
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0572[1].jpg
Views: 298
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0563[1].jpg
Views: 306
Size:  64.9 KB
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 09-22-17 at 08:48 AM.
    "You remind me of a poem I can't remember, a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." Abe Simpson

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_0843[1].jpg
Views: 277
Size:  81.8 KB

I made this cute avatar to put on GroupMe, as the totally awesome Great Vikings have adopted me as an honorary member. They let me hang out with them in one of their GroupMe groups. They really are a bunch of great friends. If I ever have a falling out with my favorite bro, Disneyfreak, I could just go join them. What do you all think? How do I look as a Viking?
    "You remind me of a poem I can't remember, a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." Abe Simpson

Member Vaders_Fist_2

You make a great looking GreatViking, SC! We love that you hang out with us!! You don’t need to have a falling out with your favorite bro Disneyfreak...just bring him with you. We’ll get him a great Viking avatar too.

Looking good SC

I have a problem.

Every time I check my photos on my iPad, I find that a certain character is taking over.

He is very insistent that he be allowed free rein to roam my iPad at will. I can't control him.

Case in point:

Name:  IMG_0808[1].jpg
Views: 239
Size:  90.4 KB

I found this picture, and started checking all my other photos.

Yes, Zippy has definitely taken over.

Name:  IMG_1044[1].jpg
Views: 241
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1055[1].jpg
Views: 243
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1056[1].jpg
Views: 240
Size:  13.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1063[1].jpg
Views: 248
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1065[1].jpg
Views: 238
Size:  17.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1067[1].jpg
Views: 240
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1069[1].jpg
Size:  66.5 KB

See what I mean? He is everywhere!

And I even found this suspicious character hanging around at Niagara Falls:

Name:  IMG_1050[1].jpg
Size:  20.3 KB

The good news is that while he keeps popping into my photos, I don't think he is causing any real harm. Just a bit of innocent Zippy fun.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 10-03-17 at 05:09 PM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

I opened an email, and saw the following coffee cup in an ad:

Name:  IMG_1331[1].jpg
Views: 228
Size:  74.7 KB

I don't drink coffee, but that cup is adorable!

And then I decided to look at coffee cups on the Internet.

Name:  IMG_1335[1].jpg
Views: 228
Size:  80.0 KB

(This one is very appropriate for all of the teachers I know.)

Then I found some funny ones:

Name:  IMG_1332[1].jpg
Views: 219
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1333[1].jpg
Views: 231
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1334[1].jpg
Views: 225
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1337[1].jpg
Views: 224
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1338[1].jpg
Views: 223
Size:  62.3 KB

And because you've got to love the minions:

Name:  IMG_1336[1].jpg
Views: 221
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1339[1].jpg
Views: 235
Size:  68.6 KB

Okay, I have to go back to work. My imaginary friends ARE talking to me today!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

I found a great quote from Danny Kaye.

"Life is a great big canvas; throw all the paint you can at it."

I have always said, "Why be plain, when you can be colorful?" I dress in bright colors - hot pink, fuchsia, red, purple. I wear mismatched socks, I wear mismatched earrings, and I do not apologize if my tee shirt is orange and my socks are hot pink. I joined a Red Hat Society with a group of friends because I love the poem it was based on. It is the poem, "Warning", by Jenny Joseph.

"When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple, with a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me."

The poem was written to remind us to grow older in a playful manner.

What a wonderful concept.

I watched a short video this morning about a 99 year old yoga teacher. Her name is Tao Porchon-Lynch. She started taking yoga lessons in 1926. She was originally told that only boys could do yoga. Her response - "if boys can do it, I can do it."

The women in both these examples are amazing. I have never picked conventional "heroes" - sports figures, politicians, movie stars, etc. My heroes are people who lead by example, and whose examples make an actual difference in people's lives.

It is a lovely fall day here in Arkansas. Finally! I am wearing long jeans, not shorts today, and it is 20 degrees cooler in the shop than it has been all week. I am in heaven, weather-wise! Yesterday was also a gorgeous day - the sky was a perfect bluebird-blue, and I never saw a cloud in it all day.

I am glad to be alive and I hope everyone else can find a reason to smile today!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

I drink a cup of hot chocolate every day. I found a brand of dark chocolate that I like. I balance consuming the amount of sugar in a cup of it with the benefits of the polyphenols in the cocoa. I love to find things to add to my hot chocolate. I try to be healthy, and add things like minimally processed cocoa, to make it a little extra chocolatey without adding a lot of sugar.

BUT!

I saw these the other day while in the checkout line at the grocery store:

Name:  IMG_1605[1].jpg
Views: 187
Size:  20.1 KB

Chocolate, mint, and bits of Oreo cookies. They were calling my name and I did not resist. As the Borg always say: "Resistance is futile." The candy bars have several sections and after I broke one off and ate it, I had an "Ah-hah!" moment. I saved the rest of the candy bar and brought it to work. I broke off a few sections and dropped them into my hot chocolate.

Yum! Minty, extra chocolatey hot chocolate. The little bits of Oreo cookies settled to the bottom of the cup and after I drank the hot chocolate, I used a spoon to scoop them out. I have to admit, we went to the store last night and bought a few more of the candy bars. They come in an "extra large" version, with 2 bars in a package. One package is enough to last me for a week if I just drop a few in my hot chocolate every day.

And if I can't help myself and I gobble down more of the bar during the day? Well, as I said, we purchased 2 extra large versions. I may not be able to resist, but I will try to restrain myself.

While I was looking for the picture, I found a picture of some new Snickers flavors which will be released next year.

Name:  IMG_1637[1].jpg
Views: 187
Size:  87.4 KB

Life is good. Embrace it. Celebrate it. Make the most of it.

I also found a lovely quote yesterday, by someone who might not be considered a "poet laureate" but who makes a lot of sense:

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it isn't open".
    Frank Zappa

And if someone can tell me why my pictures sometimes come out upside down when they are right side up in my iPad, it would be lovely.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 10-19-17 at 06:14 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  10.3 KB

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  10.2 KB

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  11.5 KB

I snapped a few shots of sunrise on the way to work this morning. The color is a bit off. It was much prettier in person. More pink, more vibrant and just more beautiful altogether. I am wondering if I can adjust something on my iPad to get the color more true to life. In any case, it is a beautiful day here.

And, it is also Disney's birthday. In case you haven't seen my other posts, let me also post something here.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  75.5 KB

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  14.8 KB

One day last week I was talking to a few of my friends on GroupMe. We were talking about the fact that a lot of women don't like things about themselves. We hate our hair. We don't like our first names. We want to be taller. Whatever it is, women seem to be self-critical.

Men do not do this like women do. Men just accept themselves. They do not obsess over things as trivial as whether or not their hair is straight or curly.

My hubby has the prettiest hair. When I met him, it was below shoulder length, and beautiful dark brown. Now it is almost all white, and the contrast of his hair and his blue eyes still looks good to me.

Over the years, I have had haircuts that left my hair shorter than his. We have both had long hair at the same time, short hair at the same time, and one of us has had long hair and the other short hair. Our motto is "I don't care if it turns grey, as long as it doesn't turn loose."

As my friends and I were talking about liking/disliking our hair/names, I mentioned a friend who moved away about 20 years ago. She and I were close, and I have always heard about the family from other friends who knew what they were up to. I started following them on Facebook, before Facebook kicked me off. (That is a whole 'nother story!)

Anyway, I said my friend had the most beautiful naturally curly hair. I loved her hair. She hated it! She would sit next to me and say, "I hate my hair. I want my hair to be soft and silky like your hair." And I would tell her how jealous I was of her glorious curls. And on Sunday morning I was thinking about her, because I had mentioned her to my friends.

I was getting ready for church and wishing I could see my curly-haired friend. And when I got to church, I was standing in the lobby talking to a few people before heading into the chapel, and the front door opened and ..............................................

my curly-haired friend walked in!

She and her husband had been in Mississippi visiting his brother, and were on their way to Missouri to visit another relative. And guess what is between those two states? Arkansas! The realized they could pick up Highway 7 straight up through Arkansas and go right into Missouri. And the town I am in is right on Highway 7. They decided to stay in town a few days and visit old friends.

It was one of those "oh! my smurfs" moments.

We saw each other and ran to hug each other. It was a perfect moment. The happiness was palpable as people came into the building and saw her. Everyone was hugging and laughing and it was so sweet.

And then they came to the shop Monday to visit my hubby and me. I missed the first hour of the last, three-hour battle because we were visiting. What a wonderful hour it was.

They will be leaving town today and heading on the next leg of their journey which will take them through several more states before they head home.

I am really glad I got to spend time with them. Friends are amazing. After all these years, it was as if we had never been separated.

Maybe I need to try again with Facebook.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 10-24-17 at 06:15 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_2088[1].jpg
Views: 133
Size:  15.3 KB

A Halloween love story:

Dapper Dan was a very handsome, very conceited man. A ladies' man. A bit of a cad, really. Not ready to settle down, he enjoyed the life of a confirmed bachelor.

Donna, on the other hand, was often called 'Diaphanous Donna' by her co-workers. They snickered at her behind her back. They did not see her inner beauty. She was hard-working, loyal to her true friends, and often over-looked by those who just did not see her for her true self. She always kept a bouquet of roses on her desk, for roses were her favorite flower. Her co-workers knew she bought them herself, and laughed at her behind her back. What man would send Diaphanous Donna roses?

Name:  IMG_2089[1].jpg
Views: 136
Size:  19.8 KB

At work, when they saw one another, Donna might sometimes see something in Dan that made her wonder if he was really the happy bachelor he seemed to be. And Dan would look at her and see a secret something behind her smile, something that made him want to approach her. But, alas, in real life, they never took the chances they were offered. They never made a connection, and they lost the chance to do so.

How, or when, is not important to this tale.

Name:  IMG_2090[1].jpg
Views: 133
Size:  19.9 KB

And they found themselves on the other side of the veil that separates this world from the next.

On the street, outside a dress shop. Where the most beautiful purple dress caught Donna's eye. She loved the dress. It was long and flowing and purple and sparkling and absolutely gorgeous. And because she could not help herself, she floated into the shop through the front window and tried the dress on.

And Dan watched in awe as Donna floated back through the window onto the street where he waited. The amazing dress made Donna quite beautiful. She shone, she sparkled, she smiled, she seemed to shimmer as she floated along the sidewalk. And Dan hurried to catch up to her.

He took her hand, and looked into her eyes, and as she looked up at him, Dan realized what a treasure she was.

"Forgive me?" he asked.

She looked puzzled at his question and did not answer right away.

"I should have looked at you more closely," he said. "There was always something about you that drew me to you, but I never thought you would want to get to know me."

And Donna smiled. "And I thought you would never want to talk to someone as plain and mousy as me."

"None of that," he said. "We have found one another now."

And if by chance you should happen to hear, on this or any other Halloween night, the clink of wine glasses, or the sound of laughter, where no such sound should exist, or feel a warm breeze tinged with the scent of roses (for Donna loves roses),
    think of Dan and Donna. They have found each other and are together, as they should be.

Name:  IMG_2091[1].jpg
Views: 138
Size:  14.2 KB

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Ohhhhhh how i love that story my friend SC!!!!! Thank you for posting it.
    If it is not yours don't take it.......If it is not true don't say it.......If it is not right don't do it.

Thanks, Golf, I am glad you liked it.

I love November. It is a great month. Gosh, it has Thanksgiving in it, and who doesn't like a holiday that gives you license to over-eat. Oh, maybe a lot of people. But not me. Give me a food related holiday, and I am all in.

November also has a few interesting events people might not know about.

Two movements that are aimed at calling attention to men's health issues are "Movember" and "No Shave November". Since many men who undergo cancer treatments lose their hair, other men stop shaving and let their facial hair grow. (Of course, not all men can grow beards - my hubby has never had one. Mustache, yes, beard no!) Then those who participate are encouraged to donate to one of the charities which support the movement. Men are also encouraged to have check-ups during November if they have not had one recently. There are even a few guys I know who had so much fun during a previous "No Shave November" that they now sport beards year-round. Guys - if you do not have any problem growing a beard, or you have always wondered what you would look like with a beard or mustache, go for it! Unless you work in a job where you have to be able to wear a respirator, such as fireman or EMT. Also, please take care of yourselves. If you have not had a check-up, do it! We love you and we want you to be healthy!

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. Anyone who wants to write a book is encouraged to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. That works out to about 1,666 words or 6.64 pages a day (a standard page in a book is about 250 words.) If you think you have a book in you, go for it!

November 6th is National Saxophone Day in the US. If you play the sax, break it out on the 6th and jam! If your family complains, go outside! If the neighbor's dog howls, play louder.

November 29th is National Square Dance Day. Square dancing might be associated with cowboys and honky tonk bars, but by golly, it is FUN! Yes, I have done it. Not for more years than I like to count, as hubby does not dance, but I did learn how when I was a teenager, and I loved it. I am musically challenged and about the worst dancer you will ever meet, but square dancing lets even people like me dance.

I'm sure there are more things to celebrate in November. I picked a few obscure things I thought people might not know about.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

One bad thing about living in Arkansas, compared to living in Connecticut is the lack of beautiful fall foliage. But the other day I saw this tree and snapped a picture of it.

Name:  IMG_2229[1].jpg
Views: 95
Size:  84.0 KB

Another bad thing about living in Arkansas is that it can be cold one day - Wednesday the high was in the low 40s F - what is that in Celsius - about 4? Thursday it was 86F for a high. Today is about 75 - way too warm for this time of year because.......

Name:  IMG_2255[1].JPG
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2256[1].JPG
Views: 96
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2257[1].JPG
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2258[1].JPG
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2259[1].JPG
Views: 97
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2260[1].JPG
Size:  54.7 KB

The ladybugs are swarming. They do not know they should not have come out of hibernation. There are literally thousands of them swarming here at the shop and thousands more at home. I love ladybugs. I am very sad that if they do not get their little selves back into hibernation they will die over the weekend when it cools off again.

There are red ones, yellow ones, orange ones, ones with no spots, ones with different numbers of spots. And I have learned over the years not to touch them. Ladybugs emit a foul odor if you touch them. Yes, sad but true. Ladybugs are adorable, but if you try to brush them away, they stink. Not quite as bad as stink bugs stink, but still a distinct and unpleasant odor.

BTW, no ladybugs were harmed in taking these pictures. There is one that looks as if it is missing a back leg. It isn't. I snapped the shot just as it moved, and it's leg is there and the bug is fine. The last picture was taken just as the bug opened it's wings to take off. Cute, ain't it?

So the good news is that I can find pretty trees, just not the overwhelming numbers of trees with gorgeous foliage in New England this time of year.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 11-03-17 at 11:04 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Certain ships in my fleet have me singing every time I see them.

Any ship with traditional sails, such as this:
    Name:  IMG_2623[1].jpg
Views: 77
Size:  75.3 KB
    and I start singing "come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with meeeeeeeee."

Name:  IMG_2555[1].jpg
Views: 76
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2557[1].jpg
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2560[1].jpg
Views: 75
Size:  71.6 KB
    She thinks my truck is sexy!

Name:  IMG_2626[1].jpg
Size:  67.7 KB
    Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea, and frolicked in the autumn mists in a land called Honahlee.

Name:  IMG_2495[1].jpg
Size:  14.2 KB
    Somewhere over the rainbow way up high, birds fly over the rainbow why then oh why can't I?

Name:  IMG_2627[1].jpg
Size:  69.7 KB
    He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amok in Kent. Aa-hoooo! Werewolves of London!

Name:  IMG_2552[1].jpg
Views: 77
Size:  72.3 KB
    Take the last train to Clarksville and I'll meet you in the morning.

Name:  IMG_2558[1].jpg
Size:  70.9 KB
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 11-14-17 at 08:59 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_2472[1].jpg
Views: 74
Size:  11.0 KB
    Ground control to Major Tom

Name:  IMG_2474[1].jpg
Size:  13.8 KB
    Double double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble.
    (Not a song but I love Macbeth)

Name:  IMG_2624[1].jpg
Size:  73.6 KB
    We've freed each other, and we laid claim. Oh yes the butterflies remain.

Name:  IMG_2622[1].jpg
Size:  70.1 KB
    I was working in the lab late one night, when my eyes beheld an eerie sight.

Name:  IMG_2628[1].jpg
Size:  79.1 KB
    Just call me angel in the morning, angel

Name:  IMG_2551[1].jpg
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2556[1].jpg

Name:  IMG_2554[1].jpg
Views: 72
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2491[1].jpg
    But I miss you most of all my darling, when autumn leaves start to fall.

Name:  IMG_2532[1].jpg
Size:  77.0 KB
    I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 11-14-17 at 09:25 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_2533[2].jpg
Size:  50.0 KB
    I feel like it's raining all over the world.

Name:  IMG_2559[1].jpg
Size:  77.1 KB
    The autumn leaves drift by my window

Name:  IMG_2494[1].jpg
Size:  12.9 KB
    Under the sea, under the sea, Since life is sweet here, We've got the beat here.

Name:  IMG_2473[1].jpg
Size:  17.0 KB
    Baby it's cold outside

And if anyone starts singing while going through your fleet, don't blame me. I posted this, I didn't say anyone had to sing along!

PS - Creepie Plushie is my favorite ship of all! It is the ugliest ship of all, but it reminds me of my friends the ninjas.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 11-14-17 at 09:34 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

SC........I love your brain.......your mind.......how you think......you are the BEST!!!

Hahahahahaha.....love that we got you your ugliest ship!!!
    If it is not yours don't take it.......If it is not true don't say it.......If it is not right don't do it.

Name:  3F152765-49AB-40D3-943B-F3123C4AA88F.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  21.0 KB

The last two steps in this week’s mega quest. Hmmmmm, Dragons?

Name:  3DB4E85D-BF69-431C-B616-5FD4A86989F1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  14.0 KB

I want to be a dragon! A powerful dragon who soars and swoops and flies wherever it wants to. And has tiny red lights on its dragon antlers. Yes, antlers, because it would not be a typical dragon. And red so it is always dressed for Christmas.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; Yesterday at 05:18 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345