Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news!

Good news!

The good news is that the versus button is gone. Vaders_Fist_2 is open for business. And recruitment.

(Funny business, monkey business, the business of winning!)

If you have been thinking of joining us, do so now!

We are 14 members strong. We finished at #16 in the event just ended, while taking it easy and having fun. Just think what we could do with a full guild.

We are having fun, and we would love to have you join us.

If you have received a PM from me, and haven't quite made up your mind, join us! If you are not sure, check your messages!

If you are a small guild that can't quite move up in the standings, join us!

If you are a player who is looking to make a change, join us!

If you are looking for a fun, competitive guild, join us!

Vaders_Fist_2. A fun place to be!

Virtual cupcakes for joining.
    "You remind me of a poem I can't remember, a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." Abe Simpson

Member Vaders_Fist_2

The good news for today is that tomorrow is the last post in my alphabet posts. I have a great one for tomorrow.

Of course, there is also some bad news.

The bad news is that after I am through with the alphabet, I will just start posting about something else!
    "You remind me of a poem I can't remember, a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." Abe Simpson

Member Vaders_Fist_2

My husband and I decided to go out to lunch yesterday to the new Mexican restaurant I like. And to the car wash so I would not have to wash the car today in my church clothes. He even offered to fill the car up with gas. Great deal, right?

Oops, when we opened the doors to get in the car, it was full of ANTS! Little black ants. Masses and masses of ants.

I drove it last Sunday to church and there were no ants.

We headed to Russellville, stopped at a car wash, used the vacuum to suck out what ants we could, ate lunch, gassed up the car and went to the store to buy ant spray. Sprayed the car and watched the little bugs DIE!

When we got home we noticed that at the edge of the cement slab where I park, there was a little clump of grass that was tall enough that the ants might have crawled up the grass and onto the car. I backed the car up about 20 feet so my hubby could spray the grass with ant spray. And left the car about 10 feet back from where I usually park.

We had a severe thunderstorm last night. No power today, generator running. Most of the town I live in has no power. The next town, where we have our business, has a big outage as well.

When I took my dogs out a while ago I found this:

Name:  IMG_7297[1].jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  133.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7298[1].jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  127.2 KB

It is about 15 feet long, and the close up shows the diameter fairly well. If I had not moved my car to spray for ants, guess where the limb would have landed? Yes, ON the car!

All Hail Ants! As the joke in the Simpson's says!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Yay, my power is back on! After 38 hours, the power is on. And my generator ran for 38 hours keeping my refrigerator running, fans going, tv on and devices charged. And it was cool enough that we did not need the air conditioning to run! It is a good day!

And my propane tank still has over 50% left. That generator is one of the best investments we have ever made.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

I finished the fleet quest about 5:40 am my time. I let Blue know so she would not have to nag me all day to finish it. She needs to keep after me or I will give up and backslide on finishing.

She painted a lovely word picture for me.

In my alternate reality, I am now relaxing on the back veranda at the tavern. I have my feet up on the railing, a glass of lemonade close at hand, and I am watching the boats go by on the water below.

Name:  IMG_7346[1].jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  14.7 KB

Me sitting in the corner of the veranda.

Name:  IMG_7348[1].jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  20.0 KB

The view is lovely this time of year. All times of year actually.

The boats on parade.

Name:  IMG_7358[1].jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7359[1].jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7360[1].jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7361[1].jpg
Size:  19.7 KB

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_7362[1].jpg
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7370[1].jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7372[1].jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7373[1].jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  15.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7374[1].jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  20.7 KB

One thing I have noticed is that Vikings know how to party, on and off the water!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Name:  IMG_6413[1].jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  16.2 KB

I walked and jogged my 1 1/2 miles this morning. I actually jogged more than I walked. It is a good day. Any day I wake up and can get out of bed is a good day.

I also know there will be bad days. I had a few recently. And my first reaction was to cry. I did that. A lot. Second thought was to go out and buy beer and get drunk. I did not do that. Third thought was, this too will pass. I am getting more philosophical as I get older. But the fact that I am getting older is okay with me. I have earned every one of my gray hairs and I would not trade any of them for my previous brown. I say it is okay if my hair turns gray, as long as it does not turn loose.

Join me in Vaders_Fist_2. We can celebrate, share, commiserate over, and marvel at our days together.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Any day this side of the long dirt nap is a good one
    Hope you are feeling better.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

The good news for today is that I bought the last 2 Montezuma merchants. I did not think I could resist the new Mobile Bakery ship, and since I am working on curing my addiction to collecting ships, I decided to spend the rubies on the merchants.

And now I have something to look forward to every day when I visit my cove. How many rubies will I get from my 4 merchants every day? I am hoping to get lucky and see some numbers higher than 2 each. Maybe I can hit all of the payout numbers that others have seen.

PS: giraffe510, I am feeling better, thanks, and I love your new avatar.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

In case anyone ever wondered why flamingos sleep on one leg, or how they are able to stay upright on one leg while sleeping, scientists have figured it out! Yes, my friends, good news! One of life's little mysteries has been solved.

Two scientists who have been studying flamingos contacted a zoo to ask if they could visit the flamingos at night and maybe try to tip them over. The zoo said no. They do not allow flamingo tipping.

Another zoo contacted the scientists to say they had recently had two flamingos die, and would the scientists like to have the two dead birds for their research.

The scientists took possession of the dead birds. One of the men stood one of the dead birds up on one leg on a lab table. And was quite surprised when the flamingo's leg locked into place and the (dead) bird was able to stand on one leg.

Scientists had long theorized that the birds stood on one leg to conserve energy, to reduce muscle strain, to keep one leg out of the water to save body heat, etc.

It turns out that the joint we see when the flamingo is standing on one leg is not the flamingo's knee. It is the ankle. The knee is located closer to the body, and is under the bird's feathers.

When the scientist placed the dead bird on one leg on the lab table, the knee automatically locked in place and the scientists had an ah-ha! moment.

If viewed from the front when standing on one leg, the leg is under the bird and angled back, placing the foot at the exact distance from the body that allows the bird to lock it's knee in place and sway with the wind and waves while maintaining it's balance even while sleeping.

Science has figured out the how. Now if they could just tell us exactly why we could all rest easy. I mean, the birds could stand on both legs. Or go into deeper water and float while sleeping like other water fowl do.

Ain't science grand? And flamingos. They are beautiful. They are graceful. They sleep on one leg. They are pink, in most cases. Except the ones that aren't. And scientists still can't tell us WHY they sleep on one leg, only HOW they do it.

Have a great day, everyone!

Join me in Vaders_Fist_2 this week, and we can talk science. Or flamingos.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

My flamingoes stand on two metal legs..they do not float...or sleep...or eat

Quote Originally Posted by giraffe510 View Post
    My flamingoes stand on two metal legs..they do not float...or sleep...or eat

ROFL!!!!! those are the only kind to have!

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Quote Originally Posted by 38supercomp View Post
    ROFL!!!!! those are the only kind to have!
    Maybe not to the neighbors

PS. Avatar courtesy of MountainMugs

Depends on the neighbors.
    Nothing ventured....

Wildflowers are blooming! Mimosa trees are blooming!

Name:  IMG_0215[1].jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  147.6 KB

Tickseed Coreopsis. Seriously, that is the name of it.

Name:  IMG_0216[1].jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  151.8 KB

Standing under the mimosa tree in the back yard at work. I wish you could all smell the flowers. They are one of my favorite wild things that grow in Arkansas.

Unfortunately, it is 90 degrees in the shop today. With summer weather in Arkansas, we get wildflowers, and .......................

Fire ants.

Name:  IMG_0217[1].jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  126.8 KB

The mounds spring up almost overnight. It rained last night and they are not as fluffy as usual. The ants fluff the dirt up over the mound, and you do not see openings at the top of the mound as with regular ants.

I poked it. Because I can. And because I like to poke fire ant mounds. What I really like to do is go out with a shovel and a bucket and dig up a big shovelful of one ant mound, put it in the bucket, run to another mound and dig up a shovelful of it, dump in the first ants, scoop the ants from the second mound into the bucket, and go to several other mounds and do the same thing. I will mix ants from about 5 or 6 mounds. And fire ants HATE it when you do that to them. They will fight to the death. Each scoop of ants you dump onto another mound creates a huge battle. Yeah, I know, I am mean.

Name:  IMG_0218[1].jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  161.4 KB

The white specs are ant eggs.

Name:  IMG_0220[1].jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  139.4 KB

If you've ever been bitten by a fire ant, you will understand why I want to keep them in check. With most wildlife I have a
    "you leave me alone and I leave you alone" policy.

Misdirected mice that insist on coming in the house or shop are one of my few exceptions.

I never molest, hurt, harass or kill any kind of snakes. Not even poisonous ones like Copperheads. I will gently relocate them if they are too close to my house.

I have been known to catch black widow spiders in my firewood stacks and carry them far away from the wood pile and release them. Spiders in the house? I catch them and put them outside.

But fire ants are a different story. I have no problem killing fire ants. They have bitten me when I never even saw them. I was just walking across the yard and must have stepped on one of their trails. And they hurt. The bites swell up and ooze pus. Nasty little creatures. Any other ant is safe around me (unless they get in my car!) Yes, ants in my car and fire ants are fair game for ant warfare. Which I wage with glee!

Summer. Ah, summer. Beautiful blue skies, puffy white clouds, fireflies, wildflowers. The good parts of summer. Life is good.

Join me in Vaders_Fist_2 before the weekend guild battle starts. We can talk about your favorite time of year.

We are open to having a smaller guild merge with us. We have 14 fun-loving members. If you are interested in merging with us, PM me, or just join us! We will grow stronger together!
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 06-06-17 at 11:06 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Being a lover of ships, as I have read somewhere, do you have a strategy for the spin quests? I've burned 200 billion and still no ship. Did you get the propeller ship?
    Did I mention I'm a fellow hater of fire ants??
    Nothing ventured....

No Propeller Ship. I have about 1460 keys. Not enough to try for it. I will spin this time and at least one more time before I open chests. I spin with the 1.2 Billion, 2 ruby, 6 ruby mermaids. I never use the 6 ruby spin. Coin spin with occasional 2 ruby spin. The key option will be in the 6 ruby box. If I get more than three White Pearl spins in a row, I change mermaids, otherwise I will stick with the same one till I hit the free spin.

I have not gotten many of the mermaid ships, and the last two I got I actually bought coins with real money in order to finish. Not a good idea! I have decided to stop doing that. I am really not lucky with the mermaids. I can get to free spin and receive only 8 keys, which is very frustrating. Most people say have at least 2,000 keys before opening chests. When I do open chests, I go for the center one. 120 keys.

Some people open the other chests. And most people have better luck with the mermaids than I do. I have a few friends who get the mermaid ship every time and always have keys to save for the next one. I wish you luck with it. I am probably the last person who should advise anyone on the mermaid ship. My bad luck with them is well known.

I usually never have more than about 100 billion coins total. I spin down to a minimum of about 5 billion, then stop spinning. I only had about 55 billion this time to start with. I am at my low coin limit now. Up 9 rubies. And up about 250 keys from where I started. I actually hit a few 27 key spins, and one 41 key spin this time.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 06-07-17 at 09:07 PM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Went for 80% of the mermaidships. The earliest one in my fleet is 3800/3800.
    I devised a system initially mainly to keep the mind occupied during hours of spinning.
    On average it took about 150 rubies for a mermaidship but for a while now this average has been creeping up so I began to tinker with the system.

Three and two ships ago suddenly there were good results. -37 rubies, - 57 bil and - 106 r, +50 bil. Too much trouble for me to keep track of the key cost, sorry.

My system is probably what most players do, use the config with the low coin and low ruby combined with the 6 ruby free spin for the keys. Chosing to do more rubies or more coins spins depending on the situation.

But I started using only the 60 chest for the goldpearls. Every time I reached 120 keys I did a spin. Gold pearl result meant another spin, black pearl meant back to the mermaid and gather keys again until the 120 mark.

Here is the thing, I think that if the first spin hits gold there is a higher chance that the second spin is also gold. That certainly was the case for two ships mentioned but not for the propellership. A cold shower. aargh.
    But if you want to try something different you could try this and see what happens.

"Everything of value is defenceless" Lucebert

Well Dane you got that right. I also noticed if first spin is gold the likely result from the next spin will be gold too. With the 120 chest if a black pearl show it is almost a guarantee the next spin is a black pearl all of which increases my cost for the ship. Like you system with the 60 chest. Will do that next time and follow thru with it. Thanks
    Time for new horizons

I get the mermaid ship every time. My findings:
    -pay outs are well only 2-3 times a day on any low coin or ruby configeration. Morning, afternoon then evening.
    -Found when having less than 1,000 rubies the payouts are better.
    -When opening chests, use the 180 key chests and keep opening until you reach 30GPs. Then go to complete all steps.
    -Have at LEAST 2k keys before opening.
    -Swap mermaids if not paying well.
    -30-40 billion in coins...I mostly use rubies and don't know exactly how many used, but my ruby count is always more than the prior day after collecting from decos(maybe 40 rubies used).
    -MOST IMPORTANTLY......STOP WHEN PAY STREAKS STOP! If you keep going they will rob you. PATIENCE! You have three days!
    Tight is tight and too tight is broken.

Officer of Warrior Family

First, let me say thank you to people who posted their thoughts about the mermaid key ships. I love that people are willing to share their knowledge, findings and theories about the game. I have met some wonderful, generous people through this game. I owe my (limited) success to the generosity of a special person who emailed me a huuuuuge amount of info he had about battling, sunflowers, setting up my merchants, etc. (yes, I put the word huge in there on purpose. You can all say it in a funny accent and mock Donald J. Trump. I do it all the time!)

Second, let me say, if you have ever wondered at the difference between white and brown eggs, I have the answer!

They are basically the same.

Eggs will be white or brown depending on the type of chicken that laid the egg. Please note that for the purpose of this discussion, I am referring to "commercial" eggs, not farm or home raised eggs. The eggs you get from your chickens will be different sizes than the eggs sold in stores as standard small, medium, large, etc. Banty and small breed chickens lay smaller eggs than the chickens used for commercial egg production. If you have a flock of chickens of mixed breeds you will get mixed sizes of eggs.

White feathered chickens with white earlobes lay white eggs.

Chickens with red, brown, black and other colors of feathers, with red ear lobes lay brown eggs.

With chickens and eggs, it is all about the ear lobes.

Brown eggs tend to cost more simply because they tend to be larger. Chickens with red ear lobes tend to be slightly larger and heavier than those with white ear lobes. Unless you have that gigantic chicken whose picture was all over the internet a few weeks ago. I don't remember what breed it was, but it was really big. It was a rooster, therefore does not lay eggs, but just think if you had a hen of the same breed!

Brown eggs are not more nutritious than white, and the reverse is also true. One color shell is not harder than the other. Open a few egg cartons in the store and you will find cracked or broken eggs in them no matter what color the shell is.

I do know that there can be differences in the color of the yolk depending on the age and diet of the bird that laid the egg. Younger hens and hens that are free-range lay eggs with brighter yolks. And you can feed them marigold petals, and other things, to get a more vibrant yellow to the yolk.

When I had chickens several years ago, I had one sneaky hen that refused to lay her eggs in the chicken coop. She would hide her nests all over the farm. I would let my dachshund out and follow her. She loved to find the nests, I always let the hen hatch chicks every year, but I wanted to know where the nests were to make sure we did not run over her with the tractor and bush hog.

I don't have any livestock now. I am getting old and lazy. And my weekends are wasted playing PC.

And if you raise Araucana chickens you will get eggs with blue or green shelled eggs. Which is a topic for another discussion.

Good news for today is that shell color of eggs does not affect the nutritional value of the egg. Eat the one you like! Or the one which is cheaper.

PS: apologies to my vegan friends. Maybe I will do a good news about vegan diets in the future.

PSS: to my friend who shared his emails, you know who you are, and I love you for all you did for me!
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 06-09-17 at 07:00 AM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

And thank you so much for sharing your wisdom SC I have learned so much after joining Vaders Fist 2.

Ps If anyone else want a part of the wisdom and FUN join us!
    Capt_Sortebill with a spelling error 😊

I found a picture that explains my philosophy of life.

Name:  IMG_7273[1].jpg
Views: 933
Size:  10.0 KB

Member Vaders_Fist_2

I just saved a turtle's life. I think the stupid turtle was trying to commit suicide.

I had to go to the bank and post office and on the way back to the shop I stopped to pick up a cup of ice and a cold drink. A convenience store less than a mile from the shop has the best crushed ice. I could eat it all day long. I love to eat ice cubes. Which is either a sign of iron deficiency or a mental problem. Probably the latter.

Anyway, back to the turtle.

I parked my car and saw a turtle lying on it's back at the edge of the parking lot. Turtles can not easily flip themselves back over if they are upside down. Especially not the kind I saw, which has a rounded shell. It was struggling in the hot sun on the pavement. I walked over and picked it up and carried it out into a ditch at the edge of the parking lot. I placed it about 10 feet from the parking lot, at the bottom of the grassy ditch. I went into the store, purchased a large cup of crushed ice and a cold bottle of diet green tea, and walked back out to my car.

And I saw............................................... .................................................. ......

the stupid turtle crawling over the lip of the ditch and falling down onto the parking lot.

Where the stupid turtle immediately....................................... ...................................

crawled under my car!

I looked under my car and realized that if I tried to drive away, I would probably run over the turtle. ARRRRGHHHHH!

I tried to get it out but could not reach it. I went back into the store and asked to borrow a broom so I could get the turtle out from under my car. The girl in the store laughed when I told her that I had already rescued the turtle once. She gave me a broom and I went out and swept the turtle out from under my car. We keep a small cooler in the car for when we go shopping and want to keep cold things cold on the way home. I put the turtle in the cooler in the front of the car, brought the broom back inside, and me and my turtle came back to work.

Hey, that reminds me, do any of you know the movie about Oblio? Me and My Arrow? I love it! Song lyrics by Harry Nilsson.

Okay, the turtle. I put him in a cardboard box with some grass I picked out back of the shop, and I plan to take him home with me tonight and put him out by the pond. I am hoping that if he is in the middle of our farm he will stay away from cars. And maybe he can find another turtle to hang out with.

Actually, I have no idea if it is a male or not. All I know is he was a lot of trouble to rescue, so I have decided it must be a male.

I have been known to stop my car along the road when I see turtles in the road and go pick them up and carry them across the road. If I can do it safely. I would hate to get hit by a car just because I was trying to rescue a turtle.

Any day when I can rescue a turtle is a good day.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 06-13-17 at 12:31 PM.

Member Vaders_Fist_2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast