Thread: News and Updates In Regards to Campus Life

News and Updates In Regards to Campus Life

Hello Fashioneers,

Iím here today to announce that we are going to begin slowing things down on Campus Life. What this means is that you will likely see a decrease in the amount of content that comes out each week. This doesnít mean that all content and events will be ending, though things may start to become a bit more predictable as we follow a standardized cadence. We are dedicated to you, our Campus Life players, and we are going to continue providing great new experiences for you in Campus Life.

The reason for the change is that we are a small company with limited people and resources. We have other really exciting games we are working on and we are in the process of moving people from Campus Life over to some of these new titles.

We want to try to make this as gradual of transition as we can and feel that an important part of that is letting you, our dedicated player-base, know what to expect. We donít have any plans to shutter Campus Life in the foreseeable future, but if we are going to make any changes we plan to give everyone a heads up around 3 months ahead of time.

Thanks again to you all for your amazing support! I understand there may be some questions you have so if you post them here Iíll try to answer them. Please note though that some questions may not be answered as directly as we may want but Iíll try to give as much information as Iím able to.

Jesse

It seemed like we already had a bit of a pattern/ predictability. What is the predictable pattern going to be? Can you give us more specifics?

I hope we still have weekly MBG, biweekly WWE, & maybe about once a season a more unique dialogue quest. I liked today's quest dialogue about the tax refund it made me smile and it surprised me a little.

I do not understand why there are not more quests to spend x in the shop &/ or salon for a prize because it would use content we already have & seem to be less work for the CL team.

Please add some broad FS themes that way CL can stay fresh & interesting even without as much new content. I think we need more color themes, favorite outfit, most creative, clothes you rarely get to use, simple outfit, complex outfit, only skirts, only short dresses, etc. Could you please fix the FS order so similar themes do not keep repeating so close together?

I love daily quests, so this news is bittersweet - I am so glad there will still be a CL team, but I am sad the game will have less new content.

If I had to guess I would think that we will see less create your own outfit quests. The two step hairstyle quests also seem like a lot of work. I would think there might be more roses for prizes or more boutique quests. Maybe more 1 step quests. Possibly less cash quests.
    Last edited by Imani; 04-14-17 at 06:21 PM.
    Enjoying Campus Life since Sept. 2012! *Hope more people keep playing CL & other PG games*

Actually it'll look very similar to the way things are now, we might try out the 3 day prep quests again to see how that works out. I think the biggest things will be that some quests may not be as long as they were previously. They were kind of previewed for a while but we'll likely be moving a few of the quest towards that direction. We will try to leave whatever we can intact, some things though will have some decreased items.

Dear Jesse,

Well it had to be this that pushed me back to post. I'd like to thank you for both the in-game message letting non-forummers know of the change and also for the post here.

I'd just like to say that I, personally, to my disappointment, have become disheartened with CL in the past few months. The quality of the items, both in terms of design presentation (looking flat, cartoonish, 2d in some/more than some instances) and layering (items flying off, etc...) have been one stake, and associated with this is "fit" of items in general. The other stake has been the boutique, which has not been updated in what - close to perhaps a year now? I became so aggravated in looking at item after item, all of which are ancient and which I will never purchase, that I gave up, Jesse. I don't search anymore, I don't finish or even start the boutique quests - and consequently I have really backed off on even doing daily quests because I know I am stuck with everything I own. Overall, these two factors along with one or two other significant issues related to the game but ones I will not mention here have caused me to barely engage my game anymore.

Now, I know the game is ramping down and that will happen to everyone, a necessary disengagement, conscious or forced. So it is inevitable and I am not complaining about being weaned. For less content, for me personally, is not necessarily a bad thing. "Quality over quantity."

If CL brings out less items that are promised to work correctly and are designed well, that will keep players engaged. Because those are issues, stakes, which have pushed me away. If the boutique is updated where we can look to find items from the past year and is continually refreshed on an automatic schedule, meaning that everything goes in after "x" days, no exceptions, that will keep people engaged. Boutiques are supposed to have new merchandise, after all, not years-old stale items, over and over again. No boutique stays in business if they operate in the same fashion as the CL boutique. It lost my business indeed because of that.

But, I have immensely enjoyed this game since I first downloaded it to complete a crossover quest in PC over four years ago. I have memories associated with it with my daughter and it has given me great joy, despite the (many, who are we kidding!) issues along the way. It has been a marriage, "the good with the bad, in sickness and in health." A part of my life as I know it has likewise been for so many others who play. A good part of my life. And for that, Jesse - thank you to PG for bringing goodness and joy.

I have always said that CL is/was the true "gem" in Pocket Gems' game mine and I will forever hold this opinion. Nothing has ever been able to compare to it and surely nothing like it will come. I hope it can continue to glimmer and show its beauty for plenty of time to come.

Thank you again for taking the time to post this important information.

- Vogue
    Last edited by Vogue.One; 04-14-17 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Misquote.
    "What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist." -- Salman Rushdie

Thank you for the kind words and the feedback Vogue, that was very well put. I will agree that the community we've got is truly special. Much of that is large part to everyone both past and present that's contributed and participated. We do want to let everyone know that we will want to work towards trying to continue making CL as well as we can even with the minor reductions in content.

I would like to gather some information (in another thread of course) as to everyone's thoughts on the clothing the past month or two and thoughts on what doesn't make them POP as much. While content will be slowing down, we still want to continue to improve where we can. We're still not closing CL anytime soon so I want to try to get things going on what kind of places we can improve on. Additionally to Imani's point, maybe if I can find a way to not completely break things I can try starting a thread to go over some showdown (non-event) themes to throw into the game.

Just wanted to say thank you for the good and clear message Jesse! This is good communication. I highly appreciate it!

One question: I think a new iOS version comes out in August. is there any connection to this?
    CL id: Kadiatu

I thought we already were on this slowing down road.. So it's going to get worse, that's not great to hear.
    Does this 'we are slowing down with new content but we are still working on things' the same as the model feature 'we are working very hard on this to get this back'?
    Because I'm having some trust issues. How can we possibly believe it this time?

I think this is the end guys. There are too many problems with this game. Specially when you are a high level and have many girls which makes the game slower and glitchy. It's a good idea to focus on new games, but you could have been honest in telling us it's the end of the road for Campus Life!

Aardbeitje I think they tried to fix the Models but could not. I do not think they were trying to lie to us. The game is old and so there are limitations in what they can do technology wise. I do not think they are lying about the end of CL. I thought they want to keep it going but due to limitations and probably other reasons they might need to move staff to other games. It might also be difficult to get staff who want to work on this game given that it is older, difficult, and already so large. It sounds like there will be some changes, but I am just glad they are going to try to support it as long as they can and that they want to keep adding new content. Since they will have less new content it could be a good thing in that they will need it to be high quality appealing content.

Jesse/ PG I agree the clear communication about this is much appreciated!! I liked the new three days of 1 step prep quests. I like quests as often as possible even if it was just something simple like spend x diamonds and win a rose.
    Last edited by Imani; 04-15-17 at 09:10 AM.
    Enjoying Campus Life since Sept. 2012! *Hope more people keep playing CL & other PG games*

The new iOS version does usually come out around that time but it's not the reason. When that time comes around we'll have someone working to get CL ready for the next iOS version.

In regards to the slowing down of things, we'll probably try to see if we can have quests more often but just with less items than they did previously (instead of 6 things you might see 4). We're still trying out a few different things that we think might be able to reduce on items but still maintain what the quest type was. A few examples being the 3 day prep quests and shortened branching quests.

Appreciate all of the feedback! We'll definitely work on trying to bring the bar back on up on what items we have coming out. We're still going to be around, and it doesn't sound like we'll be closing servers for the game or anything any time soon. Main thing is that we've wanted to give an official word on what our plans are for these titles since we've seen growing concern in all of the forums.

And hopefully the supermodel feature returns.

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for updating the CL community about the changes to the game, both for forummers and non-forummers alike. I think we all knew that the game would be slowing down, but perhaps did not think it would happen as soon as it is. I haven't posted in a while, but felt a response of appreciation was needed; it is with great sadness that Iwill need to come to accept these changes.

Campus Life has been one of the the most enjoyable casual games that I have played, and the quality and variety of content is what keeps me coming back to the game. I think your team has tapped into a real niche market of players, those ladies (and gentlemen) who loved dressing up dolls in clothing in our youth, and the ability to try on new, fantastical and even comical looks and outfits on our girls. The forum, in particular, has been critical to my overall enjoyment of the game; the ability to share ideas, thoughts and nuances with other players makes it feel like a true community.

Is there any particular reason why the team has decided to stop development in the game, Jesse? Is it purely because the platform is too old to update, or is it because you saw a reduction in players and/or profitability for the game? Are there any plans to "re-invent" the game and create a new "version"?

Regardless, admist all the questions, the game has a special place in the hearts of all regular forummers, and indeed regular players who are not active on the forum. Whilst we, as a community, are heavy hearted at this news, the old adage is that all good things must come to an end. I am sure we will learn to appreciate the last months of our beloved CL, as there is no game that is like it or would ever compare.

PS: Might I please ask for one last "favour" before you shut the game down? Are we able to have a quest, clothing item or Mystery Box Girl named after each of us? I know you have used our usernames for this, but a personalised one would be pretty cool too

BeccaXD12 PG already tried fixing the Supermodel feature. Their last statement was to apologize and say that their efforts to fix it did not work & so they had to give up. Given this message and the direction of the game, I doubt they will try to fix the Supermodel feature.

@Sapphire90 - Thanks for the beautifully put kind words! If the name doesn't already exist in the game then I don't think I'll mind doing that with the MBGs. We could probably find some capacity to make this a thing.

Also yeah, unfortunately we've tried a few times to fix the Models feature and unfortunately I don't think that we'll be able to bring that back in the foreseeable future. There was an oversight in putting things into the Boutique so I might make an adjustment this week or next week to make some past stuff sellable in the Boutique.

Edit: @Sapphire90 - I unfortunately can't give much details on specifics regarding financials and that kind of information. I think the best way to put it is that Campus Life has been around for some time now and while it is a game that's also very near and dear to many of us here at PG we as a company do want to continue to make amazing games for all of our players. This usually entails moving resources from our older titles onto either newer titles (ex: Episode and War Dragons) or games that we're building that we're really excited for. That being said though, we still want to continue having Campus Life going on with content being generated for it. All of our games will be going through different phases over the next couple months but for titles such as TPC and CL we'll be trying to have it maintained in much the same way it's been the past year.

Hope this was able to answer your question!
    Last edited by Jesse; 04-18-17 at 01:41 PM.

Hiya Jesse, thanks for the update re the future of CL. Above players have been very articulate and have expressed many of my concerns and queries about this game. I also wandered into this game "by accident" ie as a result of a crossover with Paradise Cove many moons ago. Initially I played it with my granddaughters, by the time they lost interest and ventured on to other games, I was a Campus Life Addict! So many aspects of the game have now been downgraded...but I still thoroughly enjoy prepping for WE' even though I have recruited all the available gals.

I would LOVE to see some quests that include fabulous re-coloured gowns, capes, wings, boots, sleeves...ie items that are more flamboyant or colourful than previous "buy three hats, skirts, tops and get a gown for "free" challenges.

DA and some players has some perfect examples of these gorgeous items....I would rather spend my hard earned gems on a re-coloured gorgeous gown or wings than perhaps a near "copy" of another glitchy gown

Anyway Jesse....this would so fabulous before game winds down....even if we only enjoy the creations for an uncertain future.
    PS: is the news re future of game the reason why PG hasn't had a gem sale lately?

Ta very much, Kat
    Last edited by ozkat2; 04-18-17 at 11:41 PM.
    "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough"

Mae West (original sex goddess)

Darkly Angelic Member darkangel's Avatar
    There was a sale during the easter weekend.

"If you and I are silent, who will teach the ignorant"

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
    There was a sale during the easter weekend.
    DA! There may have been a sale, but I certainly didn't get it, nor did most of the bods I've spoken to regarding recent sales...
    "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough"

Mae West (original sex goddess)

I am hopeful that the boutique might receive a massive infusion of new merchandise.

Also, with regards to sales, I have received two Goddess of Fortune sales recently; I don't recall ever receiving one in the past.
    "What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist." -- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Aardbeitje View Post
    I thought we already were on this slowing down road.. So it's going to get worse, that's not great to hear.
    Does this 'we are slowing down with new content but we are still working on things' the same as the model feature 'we are working very hard on this to get this back'?
    Because I'm having some trust issues. How can we possibly believe it this time?

I think this is the end guys. There are too many problems with this game. Specially when you are a high level and have many girls which makes the game slower and glitchy. It's a good idea to focus on new games, but you could have been honest in telling us it's the end of the road for Campus Life!
    Aardbeitje,

I think you are right. Case in point, I have submitted several tickets over the past 2 months, and no one has helped resolve my issue. I lost data back in April and no one has helped me to restore it. I spent time and money on this game and that data was clothing, items from quests, the boutique, and recruits! The tickets I submit keep getting marked "Solved" even though no one has contacted me, and I submit follow up tickets. And when I am contacted, I'm told that Jesse will get back to me, but he never does. I even went as far as calling the customer service number, but all they can do is pass along the messages. At this point I'm at a loss as to what to do. If this is the beginning of the end, I can definitely see what you mean, because it's starting with customer service. This has all been extremely frustrating and disappointing.