Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for the heck of it.

Just for the heck of it.

As the title says. Lets just have a new thread because we can.
    I thought we might like to discuss the likes and dislikes of the way the game is playing now. That is if there is any WE left to discuss anything.
    I have still quite a way to go with both CoS and The Other One as I like to call it in my thoughts. At present I am trying to be disciplined in my approach and finish off my gems collection even though they are not very useful. I agree with Mike that rounding them off makes for neatness.
    My incursions into CoS have been very hit and miss but that is definately (for now) my next goal but things are always changing in SE land so who knows.

I appreciate the slowness imposed by the one quest a day. I can pick up and put down at my leasure.
    I like being able to concentrate on one thing rather than have my time dictated by the quests.
    I like having my weekends free to do what I want when I want to.

Dislikes.
    I miss the companionship of being able to discuss whats going on, because nothing is.
    I miss the hustle and bustle of weekend when everyone is battling like mad to keep or attain a leaderboard possition. Contrary is my middle name.
    I would like a teeny, weeny bit more content to keep my interest.
    Finally the big one for me - What happened to Matty, Justin and Dad!!!!!!!!
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

Just some passing thoughts...for the heck of it.

With the "death of the game" perception in the minds of many, the majority of the forum gang, the core "WE" have moved on. A few are still posting every now and then, but the days of lively chit chat about the game, along with spontaneous jibber jabber about this, that and the other, well...that is SP history...not coming back. Understandable, this is after all a Game Forum.

Though I came in rather late, the Secret Passages forum has always had a healthy social aspect for as long as I can remember. However, reading some of the earliest threads, I found that the social aspect then was pretty minimal. The early forum was about working through all the bugs, figuring out how to navigate this new game, pointing out to PG what was and what was not working...few threads were ever seriously "hijacked" in those early days. At some point, that forum morphed into something very different, to the dismay of many I'm sure.

But it is what it is. And although it's always a little sad to see forum friends sail off for whatever reasons, I still keep them in my memory and smile when I recall some of the things that have transpired here. Even some of the darkest times can make me chuckle. I guess I'm warped.

The thing is, though it seems the Do Not Resuscitate sign has been put on the SP forum, people appear to still be READING, just not posting. One need only track the Views of certain threads to see evidence of this. Also, if you look at the "Welcome newest member" statistics on the Forum page, people are still joining the forums. So while this forum may seem deader than a door nail to us "olbies", it may still serve some purpose to others out there who may never ever feel the need to post. It's good though, that a 'handful of WE' is still around to answer questions, if any come up, and to make welcome anyone who might decide to jump in at this late date.

darkangel posted the following in one of the hinterland threads a while back...I liked it.

"The social side of forum is more in passing (a side effect) compared to the purpose it serves. So there is no sinister reason why forums seem dull or quiet. After all the forums are a source of information, which many just read, use and move on. Which I know they do so there is a lot going under calm waters people."........DA
    Last edited by salmo23; 02-16-17 at 11:05 AM.
    "But, time will tell, of stars that fell
    A million years ago.
    Memories can never take you back, home, sweet home.
    You can never go home anymore."

Darkly Angelic Member darkangel's Avatar
    I am going to go totally off topic.

So there I was yesterday afternoon sitting in my son's school class. They were holding a Fairtrade Coffee Day for charity. You get to buy Fairtrade produce at low prices. I watched in horror as all those children were eating chocolate. Exactly!! My son was telling his friends, save your chocolates and run for your life. Not sure why.

I wanted to share my traumatic experience.

"If you and I are silent, who will teach the ignorant"

Thanks for sharing, DA. I found this in my coat pocket...not much, I know...but you're more than welcome to it.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  74.2 KB
    Last edited by salmo23; 02-16-17 at 06:21 PM.
    A million years ago.

Just to add t the mix and address SE's comments. I am enjoying the leisurely pace of the game. I can play very little and not feel like I am falling behind or missing out. But it would have been nice had they finished the story of Marty, Justin and Dad. I do miss that story line. After all that was what the game was about.

I am finishing off a few things in the game. Tomorrow I will put my last quartz in to craft at level 10, so that will be complete. I crafted my second anvil last week. I was working towards that goal when the big announcement came about the game ending. I have slowly and very slowly opening the sites in EG that I missed. I am waiting on that last site to come so hopefully the others will recycle but it will also be sad when the last one comes because that means the game is finished. I do miss the excitement of the weekend and midweek events but I am also enjoying doing other things also. It really doesn't take much time in my day anymore which is good because I am getting more things done.

I have read several books and am working on a few quilt tops. I am enjoying doing that. I am also waiting on gardening season so that will keep me busy too.

DA, I am sorry about your traumatic day at your sons school. I wonder why he said that. But what an opportunity to get coffee and chocolate. That's a win win in my book.
    Level 117 just in time.

Sal.
    You went and did it, I hate you (not really but very nearly).
    Cadbury's is very difficult to get hold of down here and is my favourite chocolate as mentioned in the past. I bring a stash with me whenever we come but that was finished a while ago. Last night I was forced, though I resisted for over an hour, to eat my valantines pressy. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  17.8 KBFor those who cannot see, nestling in my egg bowl is a very lonely Cadbury's cream egg. Very stickly sweet and not at all sutable for a lady. It is a good job there are none, ladies I mean, round here.

To shop for UK food we have to travel a bit of a distance to a well known UK supermarket chain that serves the Brit community. While stood in the queue I spied the bin of cream eggs so announced to himself 'if you love me you will buy me one of those.' Within seconds one nestled on the conveyor and all the people in the queue were chatting with us and with everbody else. A small thing but an icebreaker.

Dark.
    I know you like the darker side of everything including chocolate but give me a bar of dairy milk and I am content.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

SE...can't have you "very nearly hating" me...I called Cadbury and had them whip up something special just for you.

Views: 253
Size:  71.0 KB
    A million years ago.

Views: 251
Size:  17.7 KB

Sal. I LOVEEEEEE YOUSSSSSSE the BESTESTTTTTT.
    SMELL THE ROSES.

I love those Cadbury Dairy Milk bars...so smooth...wish I could send you one from my hidden stash...
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

Thanks for the thought your longleggedness.
    SMELL THE ROSES.

Intrepid Explorer
    I love the Cadbury Flakey Bars.

There was sad news in New Zealand as Cadburys were closing the plant in Dunedin that had been in exsistance for more than 100 years and relocating it to Australia. There is now a growing movement to boycott all Cadbury products as a result of this news.

I can smell the chocolate on this thread!!!!

I do like Cadburys dairy milk, and Cadburys wholenut. I also love Flake, snickers, kit Kat and Bounty. AND fudge, Whispa, Twix, Lion bar. I could go on lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish eyes View Post
Views: 251
Size:  17.7 KB

Sal. I LOVEEEEEE YOUSSSSSSE the BESTESTTTTTT.
    Is that a new hair do...
    A million years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by giraffe510 View Post
    I love those Cadbury Dairy Milk bars...so smooth...wish I could send you one from my hidden stash...
    I also love Cadbury Dairy Milk - but only the kind not made in the USA. UK Cadbury is the best; Canadian Cadbury is pretty good. Whenever I travel outside the US, I check the airport shops for Cadbury. Didn't find any in NZ, but they had some other pretty good chocolate. Wish I had a stash - hidden or otherwise ;-)
    Digging - done
    Crafting - done
    Just waiting for that last dune site.

I appreciate the slowness imposed by the one quest a day. I can pick up and put down at my leasure.
    I like being able to concentrate on one thing rather than have my time dictated by the quests.
    I like having my weekends free to do what I want when I want to.

Dislikes.
    I miss the companionship of being able to discuss whats going on, because nothing is.
    I miss the hustle and bustle of weekend when everyone is battling like mad to keep or attain a leaderboard possition. Contrary is my middle name.
    I would like a teeny, weeny bit more content to keep my interest.
    Finally the big one for me - What happened to Matty, Justin and Dad!!!!!!!!
    I agree with you SE - like the slower pace and all the free time on weekends. But I miss all the forum banter. My goal these days is to play enough each week to be able to dig in Monday Madness.
    Digging - done
    Crafting - done
    Just waiting for that last dune site.

I should have called this thread 'THE CADBURY FILES' or some other semi-appropriate name, just for a change we are wandering about. Good, that makes the best threads.

Dark do you ever hear from Kate? If you do please send my regards.

Sal I hate the new look which is brown/red (natural sort of mahogany) on top and blond for the last four inches or so. When I get back to the UK the plan is a skunk look - brown all over with a blond/silver streak about 3" wide.
    SMELL THE ROSES.

I should have called this thread 'THE CADBURY FILES' or some other semi-appropriate name, just for a change we are wandering about. Good, that makes the best threads.

Dark do you ever hear from Kate? If you do please send my regards.

Sal I hate the new look which is brown/red (natural sort of mahogany) on top and blond for the last four inches or so. When I get back to the UK the plan is a skunk look - brown all over with a blond/silver streak about 3" wide.
    Hahaha...

Views: 206
Size:  76.1 KB
    A million years ago.

Just for the heck of it...I've been going back and reading the Forum from the beginning...it's giving me a sense of the history of the game, among other things. It's not exactly like reading a great book you can't put down, but interesting, nonetheless. Some funny stuff too...like this...I don't think this has ever popped up on my loading bar. I guess PG pulled it early on...lol.

Views: 205
Size:  91.9 KB
    A million years ago.

I would guess someone at PG was delusional that day!
    Level 117 just in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosgrove View Post
    I would guess someone at PG was delusional that day!
    Hehehehe.

Sal love it.

Name:  Cu8m9DeVMAA958a.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  20.7 KB
    Last edited by darkangel; 02-18-17 at 02:29 PM.

Thank you, DA...
    A million years ago.

Dark semi-sweet chocolate is hard to pass up for me. I have yet to find a milk chocolate that out shines the dark for me.

I agree that the lack of quests is sad - but I find that if I think I don't want to expend the shovels, power-ups,etc. for the daily quest it is ok for me to skip completing the quest. Previously that just would not do. I'm still working on crafting. So I guess the game has now slowed to my pace...I play once in the Am and again in the evening.

I miss the postings that was once hard for me to keep current on.

Intrepid Explorer
    Running with my dog in the Hills of Zurich
    Chocolate is a great wander topic

However, as for my SP game play:

I do miss the daily quests and midweek events. Weekend too but at the end I wasn't able to participate much because of the holidays.

In COS, I earned all the keys for regular and dig sites (shadow mode too). I have not done the dune sites. Now I am working my way through E.G. regular and dig sites. I only dig on Mondays. I search the regular sites until all keys are earned, do the challenge passage most days and concentrate on dig sites (in order) when I need more keys for the regular sites. I've had to keep a list of what sites I've completed and whether it's just regular search or shadow mode complete. My list is getting long but every time I scroll through I think I will never finish.

Definitely smelling the roses. I will eventually go back to DR and Night Realm to make sure I've gotten all the sites to 5 silver stars. Then, maybe, I will wrk on the COS and E.G. dune sites (provided I have enough rubies for the EG sites.

Missing the forum family, I really should post more
    Last edited by Matilda; 02-20-17 at 11:55 AM.

Matti.
    Just a thought about rubies. I was going to suggest then thought it would work better if I explained what I do and leave it to you to decide if you like it.
    As I open the game I have a routine. I collect any Ruby tree rubies, shovels and the seeds from EG then I check trades. If there are any ruby trades I make then or search them. When they dry up I will attempt one (only one) coin/moonstone trade if the amount is small and the search is one site only. If this does not lead to a new ruby trade then I leave it to time out and return to check later.
    At present I am working on gems so I then spend the rest of the time I allot myself searching for shards.
    I have mentioned elsewhere that I have seen an increase in ruby trade since the lack of daily quests and so can make between 200 to 500 a day without any undue effort and over 1000 on a good day with a bit of extra time. This is my game of course and as I never tire of saying we all have different games and others may have seen different occurrences since the end of dailies.
    I do not have many trees so cannot reap huge amounts.
    Last edited by Spanish eyes; 02-20-17 at 03:08 PM.
    SMELL THE ROSES.

Intrepid Explorer
    Running with my dog in the Hills of Zurich
    Thanks SE that's good advice. at the moment I have over 60,000 rubies and am not worried. I just missed so many EG dune site relics it will take me hundreds of thousands to open them all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast