Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Intrepid Explorer
    Thanks Jimbo for visiting this thread. I have to give credit to Salmo and the great idea for the name.

Intrepid Explorer
    I had to share a conversation I had with my six year old Grandson as it may apply to some forum members. It goes like this:

Nathan: Nana I know why you have grey hair.
    Me: oh, and why is that Natie.
    Nathan: Nana, you are very, very, very, very old and when you are that old you know everything and it turns your hair grey.
    Me: yes my darling you are correct Nana knows everything. ( at the same time thinking I could have done with a lot fewer very,s)

You have to love kids power of reasoning and why dissallusion them at such a young age.

I once was told that hair grew into your head as well as growing longer. And that when the inward growing hairs touched gray matter, they turned gray. So gray hair is a sign of intelligence ;-) Sounds good to me! BTW the man who told me that was quite young but had gray hair.
    Digging - done
    Crafting - done
    Oh no! Was that last dune site?

Intrepid Explorer
    Rosemary, combine your story and mine and us seniors have got it made.

The other side of the adage is "Too soon old, too late smart."
    Digging - done
    Crafting - done
    Oh no! Was that last dune site?

Intrepid Explorer
    So, how is everyone's New Years resolutions going.

I worded mine very carefully this year as past experience has doomed me to failure. Eleven days and still going well. By the way Sunday is a day of rest. You ask what my goal is, it is to do one extra thing each day over and above my normal chores. Would you believe I even sorted out my sock drawer. The local charity shops are going to love me when I deliver my decluttered goodies, and I can hear the house foundations sighing at night as the load gets lighter.

I am not a pack rat but we had a place at a lake and I have "things" that I no longer need from that residence. Come the spring it is the garage that needs to be tackled. My late husband was a contractor so you can imagine what is in there. I have already had 1-800 got junk out once and will have another go at it. All his tools are a problem as so many are specialized. I have been putting things out at the curb late in the day and by next day they are gone. Yippee!!!!!!
    Last edited by KIWICANUCK; 01-11-17 at 07:36 PM.

Intrepid Explorer
    double post

Kiwi, I don't really do New Years Resolutions but I have been working on a few things that I want to do. I, like you, am trying to declutter and clean. I didn't get it done last year so I am on a mission to get it done this year. I did one room this week. I was hoping to get another one done this week but it probably isn't going to happen. Today is getting ready for a possible ice storm this weekend so grocery shopping and some preparations are on the agenda.

I have been spending much more time sewing which is one of my goals this year. Trying to finish up one quilt so I can work on some others.

I have spent a lot less time playing games and more time reading and sewing and other tasks. Good luck with all your goals and decluttering. It is a job but so worth it in the end.
    Level 117 just in time.

Intrepid Explorer
    Cossie, I hear you. I am not braves enough to tackle a whole room at a time. Being a knitter I sorted out all my wool into sizes and I used the storage pantry we had built in the basement to organize it. That way I managed to get rid of storage bins that were all jumbled. I have found an organization that knits and crochets hats for preemies so I have donated all the single balls of baby wool.

I used to crochet dish cloths and sell them where I used to work. I had done over 500 and have all sorts of cotton left over. I have four knitting projects to do then my next goal is to crochet all the cotton into cloths to give to my girls so they will have a supply for years to come. Well, maybe not that bad.

I suppose your supply of quilting materials can build up. Do you make trivets for example with the left over pieces? I would love to quilt however I am too impatient and my stitching is not neat enough. I have a friend who rug hooks and I may try to do a trivet to see if I can manage and or like it. So many things out there to explore.

I used to love knitting, the more complex the pattern the better or the thinnner the wool. Unfortunately the flicky finger has stopped all that but I cannot get rid of the needles, just in case. Just in case of what I am not quite sure but they dont take up that much room and there is space in the attic for them. We did our de-clutter when we moved along with a big cleaning so I feel pretty smug at the moment. That is if we dont mention the boxes that are not yet unpacked and the missing sewing box. I do have several excuses ready. Said boxes are in the garage and I cannot reach them because stuff we are waiting to sell is in the way AND it is much too cold to spend time out there. I cannot bring the boxes inside to unpack as I am informed by my daughter (in whos garage the boxes were stored for a while) that a family of seven foot high, hairy legged, person eating spiders have taken residence. As she is a whimp she brought the lot for me to deal with, she is such a girly sometimes.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosgrove View Post
    Kiwi, I don't really do New Years Resolutions but I have been working on a few things that I want to do. I, like you, am trying to declutter and clean. I didn't get it done last year so I am on a mission to get it done this year. I did one room this week...I have spent a lot less time playing games and more time reading and sewing and other tasks. Good luck with all your goals and decluttering. It is a job but so worth it in the end.
    Cossie, Kiwi, and SE, this is an interesting thread with your additions. Cossie, I don't do resolutions, either, but I decided to tackle 1 room at a time this year and declutter, too. I am very please with what I got done last weekend, but it took many hours, and it was just a bathroom with all its cabinets and closets. Larger rooms may take even longer. I may have to split rooms up, but I am determined to declutter the house this year and get rid of everything I no longer need. I am dreading the basement and garage.

I have been spending more time knitting and reading lately. I like how portable knitting is (as opposed to quilting). I use the thin sock thread for Christmas tree ornaments. I also crocheted a sweater for my daughter and myself.

I am excited to have less stuff to have and move, when the time comes.
    Level 117

The main thing I need to declutter is my closet. I have many dresses, blouses, shirts etc that I cannot wear due to problems caused by my illnesses. However, finally getting rid of these means I have admitted things will not improve. Mentally I am just not ready for that yet! Hope springs eternal! And all that. ��. emojis still don't work.

Intrepid Explorer
    Topmom I hear you. Each time I clean something from the house it is the memory behind it that causes the issues. That is also had reason I have to take baby steps. Papers and general clutter are not an issue it is things we brought together that I have to steel myself to put out for charity.

I also have five years of business papers from my late husbands company that I can finally shred now that the time period for tax claims has passed. I usually get a clear garbage bag and put it in the cloths hamper and sit the shredder on top. Thanks goodness Toronto has a great recycling program.

SE, I must have close to five or six hundred knitting patterns. I had a friend who was a professional knitter for Patons and I had many of her books given to me when she died. Those I need to go through as the patterns in some are from the early fifties. No one wears knitted swimsuits anymore. Oh well, another day's chore. If anyone is looking for a particular pattern send me a PM and I can see if I have it.

This should be a good thread use to share.
    Baby was born near midnight on Sunday. 9lbs 2oz. Mother and son are doing great.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

Intrepid Explorer
    Running with my dog in the Hills of Zurich
    Congrats SE.

Longtime Tapper
    Congratulations SE, to you, your grand daughter and family.
    You've earnt a new badge!

Name:  IMG_0397.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  24.7 KB

Welcome to the world baby Sheriff! Congratulations, SE!

Name:  File 24-01-2017, 13 04 35.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  6.5 KB

Intrepid Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish eyes View Post
    This should be a good thread use to share.
    Baby was born near midnight on Sunday. 9lbs 2oz. Mother and son are doing great.
    SE

Congratulations to you and all your family on the newest addition.

So happy for you, SE...I know you will be great at it...
    Last edited by salmo23; 01-24-17 at 08:52 AM.
    "But, time will tell, of stars that fell
    A million years ago.
    Memories can never take you back, home, sweet home.
    You can never go home anymore."

Congrats to you SE and to your whole family. A little boy to spoil, how fun!
    Level 117 just in time.

Intrepid Explorer
    Congratulations SE and family on the safe arrival of baby. Your love for your children is pure but the love for a grandchild is a special love that only a grandparent can give.

Congrats SE! Happy for a safe delivery. Welcome Himself II!

Wow, SE! That is fantastic news! Congrats!👶🏻
    Level 117

Such happy news!! Congratulations SE!! All the best to you, your family and specially the little one.

Darkly Angelic Member darkangel's Avatar
    Congratulations to you and your family, welcome to the world little angel.

"If you and I are silent, who will teach the ignorant"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast