Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Announcement] Events Ending

Sigh... Maybe I'll get a life.
    Digging - done
    Crafting - done
    Oh no! Was that last dune site?

Hey Sooni.
    I just read a new thread asking where next? I am asking PG that question but turning it slightly. You have Dragons and Episodes both which I have tried but disliked. I wrote ages ago that all the Forums here were for dead or dying games with maybe the exception of CL. So what is new in the PG stables? You are supposed to be spending resources on R & D, you had that big influx of cash from Tenent last year so what's NEW? Perhaps more importantly when is new happening? Normally a three rotation is the norm, as in 1 dying, 1 running, 1 in development but you dont seem to be following the patern.
    I would just love to still deserve my title and be able to spread the word.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

Longtime Tapper
    And to think that my final goal in this game was to craft my last level 10 sapphire (2 x L 10 + 1 x L9) and take shot at a billion. Ah well. I play two other games daily, one of which is Word Bubbles. To get the daily free hint you have to watch an ad. I have never seen SP advertised. For that matter, I don't even remember how I found SP. Farewell SP, it's been fun.

"This is the end, beautiful friends, the end, of our elaborate plans, the end, of everything that stands, the end, no safety or surprise, the end, I'll never look into your eyes again . . . "

Cossie:

I tried to prepare you for this in that PM all those months ago. You were the only one who really tried to hold my feet to the fire and get it out of me. I think you knew, that I knew. I wish it wasn't the case, but the time has come. I hated being the "glass is half full" guy in that PM, but a little bird whispered it in my ear and I promised I wouldn't break the hearts and soul of the forum.

Kiwi:

I'm glad you decided to tell the forum about your improving health. You confided in me all those months ago and you have been so brave. It's been my honor to play this game with you, I only wish that I could be half as brave as you, my dear! You're a warrior and a brilliant example to those granddaughters!

ALL:

There are new games on the way, for sure. It may not be our SP, but I'm sure PG didn't pull all of their resources to plan a picnic.
    Last edited by igotahavit; 11-01-16 at 04:50 PM.
    Paradise Cove - Leader of the Darkwings (PM me about joining our guild)

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

Secret Passages - Billionaire Bandits

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Longtime Tapper
    So, you better hurry up and do the 5 billion!

I am really sad the events are ending and the game seems to be winding down. I have loved this game. I have never been involved in a game to this level before. I have loved this game from the beginning but other things will take over. I have been doing lots of quilting lately so that will keep me busy. I would like to know what PG has in the works and I guess I will work on finding another hidden object game to play because that is my favorite kind of game. This is the first forum that I have been involved in and it is a blast meeting all of you and becoming friends with people from all over.
    Level 117 just in time.

Longtime Tapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosgrove View Post
    I am really sad the events are ending and the game seems to be winding down. I have loved this game. I have never been involved in a game to this level before. I have loved this game from the beginning but other things will take over. I have been doing lots of quilting lately so that will keep me busy. I would like to know what PG has in the works and I guess I will work on finding another hidden object game to play because that is my favorite kind of game. This is the first forum that I have been involved in and it is a blast meeting all of you and becoming friends with people from all over.
    +1 Cossy, well said!

Uhm, Wilsooon, does this completely rule the possibility of the Seekers' Manor making a return to the game???? Also, what are the odds that you could put the wrenchies back in the crypts and the SFs back in the digsites???

Dr. Tammy, where are you? I need a double session and kick everybody else out of the sandbox, I need it to myself today. Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps . . . baby steps off the forum . . . baby steps off the computer . . . baby steps out of the room . . . OMG, there's a whole world out here . . . baby steps back into the room . . . baby steps into the corner . . .

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumlyn View Post
    And to think that my final goal in this game was to craft my last level 10 sapphire (2 x L 10 + 1 x L9) and take shot at a billion. Ah well. I play two other games daily, one of which is Word Bubbles. To get the daily free hint you have to watch an ad. I have never seen SP advertised. For that matter, I don't even remember how I found SP. Farewell SP, it's been fun.
    I found SP right after it was launched as I was scanning the App Store to check out "What's New"...I think it was featured as "games we like" or "games we recommend"...something like that which caught my eye. I've not been able to locate SP in the App Store for some time now, it must be buried pretty deep there which suggests to me there are not many new downloads for the game...it's not visible. Fewer SP downloads=Fewer SP Revenue which, it seems,determined what resources would be available for the game.

It's strange, but Campus Life, which I believe is as old, if not older,as SP is still well-featured in the App Store. I noticed it a few days ago on the "other games you might like" banner.

Campus Life, though...not for me...
    Last edited by salmo23; 11-01-16 at 05:15 PM.
    "But, time will tell, of stars that fell
    A million years ago.
    Memories can never take you back, home, sweet home.
    You can never go home anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by Meggymoo View Post
    PG, this is a prime example of what this game can mean to people. I only wish you valued the game as much as we do.
    We're not oblivious to the fact that this game means a lot to many people. However, one should understand that it means many different things to many different people, and it's not prudent to generalize. The game wouldn't exist without its players, and that's who we value the most.

To be clear, we would of course try to keep events going for as long as possible, but we've reached the point where that, quite frankly, isn't the case. It's also reasonable for someone to think that it's a simple task to set up and run an event, but it's much like how an iPad or other tablet works: turning it on and using it looks easy, but the technology, programming, and know-how to allow for that is much more complicated than just the flip of a switch.

The way I was told (and they could have been wrong, so who knows), TPC is the oldest PG game, then SP. (Dead/killed games notwithstanding.)

Honestly, I don't think the revenue was the deciding factor, not according to what I was told nor based on the myriad of interviews in which Ben Liu keeps promulgating how well the bottom line of PG is doing across the board.

What I was told, was similiar to what SE has maintained that comes forth from PG staff anyway, which is that (more or less) SP was created by contractors (programmers) using what was then, state-of-the-art code. Those contractors' contracts expired and as new upgrades to the game were needed, so to were new contractors needed to develop the code. So on, so forth, blah, blah, blah. Eventually, new code (then) turned into old code that was manipulated/shoe horned by different contractors on the next upgrades, that new code then became old code and the old code became ancient code. New upgrades were needed, so to were new contractors who had to translate ancient code and recently old code into their new additions. And on and on and on. Eventually, making a change "here" destroyed/altered something over "there," not to mention the new contractors couldn't read old sanskrit (LOL). So, you get what we got here . . . SP. It isn't worth the money to hire new contractors to fix old stuff. It's probably easier to hire the new contractors to make a new SP, but we all know how well sequels go over (in the business world).

Calling Darkangel! Can you shed more light on this and correct the areas which I may have gotten wrong or not fully touched on? Pleeeeaaassse!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish eyes View Post
    Hey Sooni. .... So what is new in the PG stables? You are supposed to be spending resources on R & D, you had that big influx of cash from Tenent last year so what's NEW? Perhaps more importantly when is new happening? Normally a three rotation is the norm, as in 1 dying, 1 running, 1 in development but you dont seem to be following the pattern.
    I would just love to still deserve my title and be able to spread the word.
    I should preface this with the fact that I'm not the one that makes any financial and investment decisions at PG. Otherwise, I'd be performing a totally different role here! ;D I can say that we're always in active development here, but that's the extent of what I can say (for obvious confidentiality reasons).

I know the news I presented today is not what anyone here wants to hear, but keep in mind that the forum isn't going anywhere. Events are still running through the next two months, and we'll continue to provide game support to those who need it.

Longtime Tapper
    Quote Originally Posted by salmo23 View Post
    I found SP right after it was launched as I was scanning the App Store to check out "What's New"...I think it was featured as "games we like" or "games we recommend"...something like that which caught my eye. I've not been able to locate SP in the App Store for some time now, it must be buried pretty deep there which suggests to me there are not many new downloads for the game...it's not visible. Fewer SP downloads=Fewer SP Revenue which, it seems,determined what resources would be available for the game.

It's strange, but Campus Life, which I believe is as old, if not older,as SP is still well-featured in the App Store. I noticed it a few days ago on the "other games you might like" banner.

Campus Life, though...not for me...
    You're right Salmo, PG does not promote SP at all. I think a decision was made to forget about making SP a coherent game around the time that EG was released. I have thought for a long time that EG was designed to be a proving/test ground for a new game or games. Graphic designers and programmers seem to be easy to find (again, think about all the EG sites that are regularly churned out). When I first started playing this game I found it laughable, only because I knew that the only people who would persist were those who had the time and/or monetary resources to allocate to game playing. The game progresses too slowly to attract the generation needed to make a game profitable, if only because they will tap on the videos. The cost of assets such as rubies compounds the problem. Younger people will not persist. I thought that the relatively cheap "infinite energy" available for searching events was the best executive decision I have seen PG institute. Apparently, too little, too late. The designers, programmers (mostly) and support staff are great. The administration needs tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by igotahavit View Post
    The way I was told ... but we all know how well sequels go over (in the business world).
    This is not entirely correct, but "tech debt" is indeed a real thing in mobile games development. Code that was written long ago may not have been written with the foresight to make it easy for the next programmer to follow, or be as flexible as it can be for the future. Older games are the most susceptible to this (and it can sometimes explain why changes that seem simple turn out to be monumental challenges).

Quote Originally Posted by PGWilsooon View Post
    This is not entirely correct, but "tech debt" is indeed a real thing in mobile games development. Code that was written long ago may not have been written with the foresight to make it easy for the next programmer to follow, or be as flexible as it can be for the future. Older games are the most susceptible to this (and it can sometimes explain why changes that seem simple turn out to be monumental challenges).
    Well then can you explain the full decision? I mean, it's not going to change anything anyway and it certainly can't make matters worse.

Quite honsetly, Sooon, and I don't mean to offend, but there are a lot of us (players) who know more about SP than PG employees do, and you guys work there daily. How else do you explain the problems with the game?

For instance, I have been asking you guys for years about asset caps. It wasn't until AsefromHolland hit 400K rubies and got banned that PG staff (not programmers) looked into the code and saw that was written in as a "hack" protection. How many times have I asked about caps on things other than Power-Ups (flashlights, cameras, et al.) and shovels and PTs, only to be told that those are the ONLY caps in the game. That is simply not true. Candy Bars and Coffees have a soft cap at 1000 and affect the game tremendously. Obviously, relics found from past events have caps. Etc, so forth. We found this out. That was never communicated orginally. My point being, if PG staff doesn't know the game, then it simply has to come down to the fact that these games were designed by contractors, who have left, and really the programming can't be read by those who remain. Again, that's not an indictment on you, but fairly obvious on our end.

If I'm not 100% correct, please, please, enlighten us on the genesis and exodus of SP and how that relates to remaining PG staff. At least this way, all the cards are on the table.
    Last edited by igotahavit; 11-01-16 at 05:59 PM.

Intrepid Explorer
    OMG, I don't believe it. I am watching the World Series. I did not do the mid week challenge and have no intention of doing so.

Tomorrow I am going to sort out clothes for good will and make some soup. Oh and read that new book just in from the library. I will spend the next few days getting the outside ready for winter and looking at some new series to watch on Netflix. I guess life does go on and we will survive.

i have cleaned out my mail boxes but just cannot press game delete just yet.
    Last edited by KIWICANUCK; 11-01-16 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KIWICANUCK View Post
    OMG, I don't believe it. I am watching the World Series. I did not do the mid week challenge and have no intention of doing so.

Tomorrow I am going to sort out clothes for good will and make some soup. Oh and read that new book just in from the library. I will spend the next few days getting the outside ready for winter and looking at some new series to watch on Netflix. I guess life does go on and we will survive.

i have cleaned out my mail boxes but just cannot press game delete just yet.
    And OMG!...the Cubbies are leading!

Kiwi, it's not over till the fat lady sings and according to Soon that will be the end of the year...might as well stick around until then.

OMG 2!! Grand Slam by the Cubbies!
    Last edited by salmo23; 11-01-16 at 06:05 PM.
    "But, time will tell, of stars that fell
    A million years ago.
    Memories can never take you back, home, sweet home.
    You can never go home anymore."

Intrepid Explorer
    I was so hoping for 1000 posts so I will still take part in all the chit chat.

Longtime Tapper
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWICANUCK View Post
    I was so hoping for 1000 posts so I will still take part in all the chit chat.
    Go, Kiwi, go!

Dr. Tammy, where are you? I need a double session and kick everybody else out of the sandbox, I need it to myself today. Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps . . . baby steps off the forum . . . baby steps off the computer . . . baby steps out of the room . . . OMG, there's a whole world out here . . . baby steps back into the room . . . baby steps into the corner . . .
    Igota, and everyone else, you can join me in crying over feeling abandoned and tossed aside...building beautiful, elaborate sand castles, then destroying them.

Seriously, we all knew it was coming, just a matter of time. We all hoped SP would get an infusion and live a much longer life, but sadly, that isn't the case. I do sincerely hope that we find a way to stay in touch. Can we form our own Facebook group? I'd like to still be support for each other in our real lives. There are still so many forumers I'd love to meet when I make it to your state/country. Cossie, we still have quilting tales to swap! 11/1 is now a sad, sad day. RIP, SP.
    Level 117

Well then can you explain the full decision? I mean, it's not going to change anything anyway and it certainly can't make matters worse....
    Actually, I really like being employed, so I'd argue that it can make matters worse!

In seriousness, the people within game teams will shift around from time to time. Whether it's people moving to a different team because their talents are needed, or people flat out moving on to different careers, there's churn in who's working on a particular game over its lifespan. You all have seen this first-hand with Brian and his predecessors (and currently me). This explains why some game knowledge is not instantly known to everyone that touches it.

In terms of item caps, and other nuanced things about the game: a lot of this was never anticipated when SP was created years ago. It's clear that it's a very different game since its infancy. As a matter of fact, I myself had to learn all these things by finding out for myself. So, like many of you, I've learned about the bugs, why some of them happen, and how to fix them. Also, the average player (which probably doesn't quite describe you guys because you're Grandmasters of Secret Passages) never even gets close to an item cap, or has it affect their gameplay in any way, so communicating this would just be confusing to them and make things more complicated than it needs to be for them to enjoy the game for what it is.

I can understand no longer offering new content, sites, etc. But do not understand the cessation of no longer offering any events of any kind. Unless it's just, forget about it, it doesn't exist. I've looked at other PG games, and to be frank, they just aren't very interesting (I realize that is just my opinion).

E.T.A. At least I have time to craft my 4th Shovel Smith Anvil
    Last edited by Fyrmnkee; 11-01-16 at 08:59 PM.

Longtime Tapper
    Last edited by PvilleCA; 12-09-16 at 12:05 PM.

Intrepid Explorer
    Dr Tammy, count me in for a group Facebook page. Of course I will need the usual hand holding to accomplish that.

Here's my "one" liner for now: too depressed at the news and needing to go to work. I'm only new to the forum but it's already special to me because of all of you.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast