Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 501st looking for 2

Here are a few facts about giraffes:

Even though a male giraffe can reach 19' in height, and a female 16', they have the same number of cervical vertebrae (bones in their necks) as humans - 7. Theirs are 11" long, ours are 1" long. And theirs are connected by ball and socket joints, such as the joints that connect our arms to our shoulders, allowing them a greater range of motion in their necks. Have you ever seen a video of two male giraffes fighting? Those ball and socket joints come in handy.

Mature male giraffes can weigh between 2,400 and 3,000 pounds, mature females 1,600 to 2,600 pounds.

Giraffes are very light sleepers. Some giraffes may sleep as little as 30 minutes a day. They usually sleep standing up, and may rest their head against a tree while they sleep. They need to be light sleepers as they are prey animals. Predators include lions and hyenas, which an adult giraffe can kill or maim with a kick from it's soup-bowl sized hooves.

How about this ninja move?

Name:  IMG_3614[1].jpg
Views: 71
Size:  19.8 KB

Giraffes do not need to drink every day. They obtain most of their water from the food they eat, and may only drink water every third day. They cannot kneel down to drink, as their knees are weak and cannot easily support their weight when bent. That is why they splay their front legs and bend their necks to drink. (Also why they usually sleep standing up.) The posture when drinking may look awkward, but it suits them. Even while drinking water, a giraffe needs to be alert and ready to run from predators.

There are special spigots in the blood vessels in their necks which close off to prevent a rush of blood to their brains which would otherwise cause cerebral hemorrhages when they lower their heads. Without this adaptation, a giraffe could suffer a fatal hemorrhage just from bending to grab a bite of food or a drink of water.

The skin on their legs fits very tightly to help push the blood through their bodies - much like the flight suits fighter pilots wear.

No two are exactly alike. They are all different, and special, and are one of nature's most spectacular creatures.

They might live 25 years in the wild, 30 or more in zoos or animal parks. Mortality rates are high for giraffe calves, with only about 50% surviving their first six months in the wild.

Name:  IMG_3612[1].jpg
Views: 71
Size:  17.4 KB

All of this is leading to something besides giraffic trivia.

It is just one more place for me to say, Happy Birthday, Giraffe!

Hey, this may be my recruiting thread, but I will use it shamelessly to promote birthday wishes, tell stories, post jokes or pictures, and do whatever it takes to get people to look at it! We are looking for a few more players. Take a chance, make a change in the new year. Give us a try.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 12-30-16 at 09:13 AM.
    A book is a dream you can hold in your hand.
    A heart isn't judged by how much you love, but by how much others love you.

Member 501st.

Okay, there is no way to top a geezer/Viking baby. If you haven't seen it, it is worth searching for.

Note to self:
    (Stop mentioning other guilds, right NOW, you silly girl!)

I have no internet at my house. Grrrrrr! Might not have internet until tomorrow! I am at our shop, freezing (it is actually about 45F so just cold, but I am exaggerating a bit for effect), and my hubby is wanting to go do errands. We drove here in separate cars. I was here for about two hours fighting Robot Reboot. When we get back from errands, we will come here. He will drive home to check internet, and if it is still out, I will stay here to fight Robot and collect points for event. Sheesh! I am totally addicted to this game!

Anyway, Happy New Year, everyone!

Name:  IMG_3625[1].jpg
Views: 73
Size:  19.5 KB

Ack! I forgot to crop the picture! But you get what I mean. The sentiment stands, even if I am not good at posting pictures.

Member 501st.

Name:  IMG_3647[1].jpg
Views: 59
Size:  20.5 KB

Member 501st.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  11.7 KB

Hey 38,
    Thought I'd bumpity bump this post again.

We still looking for a couple troopers to make us complete.

Vader mind tricks- "You want to join the 501st!!"
    Name:  IMG_0335.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  51.4 KB
    Proud officer of 501st We're always looking for new members so come on & join us!
    May the Force b with You

It is really foggy in my area of Arkansas this morning.

How foggy is it, you ask?

It is so foggy that I am sitting at my desk with dripping wet hair. We walked our 1 1/2 miles in the fog, and my hair got wet. Wet, dripping hair. From FOG!

At least there were no monsters, ghosts, Ghoulies or things that went bump in the fog.

Haha. Get it? Bump in the fog!

Hey, what astodd said above. You know you want to join us.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 01-04-17 at 04:38 AM.

Member 501st.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  14.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0370.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  40.8 KB
    Proud officer of 501st We're always looking for new members so come on & join us!
    May the Force b with You

The smurfs say: Join the 501st.

Name:  IMG_3839[1].jpg
Views: 28
Size:  21.9 KB

Member 501st.

Supercomp,
    I have been in VA for two weeks...so was away for my birthday...and missed all your lovely giraffe stories and birthday wishes.
    Thank you for thinking of me and hope you had as nice a birthday in November as I did in December. It was a big one for me...

Also wanted to bump your thread...
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

Some friends and I were talking about rock climbing this morning. I have been rock climbing a few times. On real rocks, not the new climbing walls. I would love to try the new climbing wall at a business in town. It is called, ironically, "The Wall". I mean, you are strapped on (in?) and if you fall you don't fall all the way to the bottom of a real cliff and kill or maim yourself. Hubby won't go, and I don't want to go by myself. Sigh. Oh, well, here is my rock climbing story.

Before we moved to Arkansas, while still living in Connecticut, we spent a week visiting Nova Scotia. Beautiful spot. Awesome tidal changes. Gorgeous views of the bays, the water, the sunsets. The people were friendly and the week was very memorable. My hubby and I collect rocks. It is something that came from my Uncle Bill. Uncle Bill was my father's brother in law, married to Dad's sister.

Uncle Bill had been a well-driller when I was a child, and he had traveled all over the US. I think Hawaii is the only state he did not visit. He collected rocks from his travels. He had a fabulous collection, including rocks that glow under black lights, and unusual rocks from all over the country. His collection is on permanent display in the town I grew up in. I loved him and my Aunt Sue, whose real name was Viberta. They are the ones who adopted my Aunt Eva's two girls after she died. Yes, the Aunt I was named after. Aunt Sue had the most gorgeous red hair. We were lucky that they lived close to us, and we visited them all the time when I was a kid. Along with my father's brother, Uncle Bud, and his wife, who was my mother's sister, Aunt Fran.

Oh, yeah, too much information. I tend to get sidetracked easily by memories. And I ramble on and on. Anyway, back to Nova Scotia.

We heard about a place called Amethyst Cove. You can find amethysts there if you are really lucky. We asked for directions from someone at a small gas station, and the people in the station all laughed. Bad sign. They gave us directions, and told us to make sure we were not at the beach when the tide came in.

They neglected to tell us about the cliff we would have to climb down to get to the cove.

We carefully followed their directions and set off on our quest to Amethyst Cove.

We parked the car and walked across an open field and through a stand of trees to find.............................................. ..........

large ropes leading down over the edge of a cliff.

I found the following pictures online:

Name:  IMG_3847[1].jpg
Views: 13
Size:  16.2 KB

Note: we were there in the summer, but this was the best picture of the rope.

Name:  IMG_3843[1].jpg
Size:  17.8 KB

The beach in winter. Again, we had no snow.

Name:  IMG_3846[1].jpg
Size:  17.1 KB

What the trail is like in the middle.

These are not my pictures, but pictures I found online. They illustrate the problem.

Problem, you say? What problem, SC?

Well the problem is that I was not expecting to have to climb down a steep cliff, aided by large ropes tied to trees, and oh, by the way, have I ever told you that although I love to fly, I am afraid of heights? Yep. Picture this: Scaredy cat (Me) standing at the top of the cliff whining that I did not want to climb down the cliff.

Hubby assured me that the ropes looked sturdy.

Needless to say, we climbed down, looked for amethysts, did not find amethysts, climbed back up and consider it to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

And maybe one day I will post about the time I had to climb up on the roof of our house. It's a doozy of a story.

We really do need a few more members. Join us and help us strengthen the force!

Member 501st.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345