Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 501st looking for 2

Here are a few facts about giraffes:

Even though a male giraffe can reach 19' in height, and a female 16', they have the same number of cervical vertebrae (bones in their necks) as humans - 7. Theirs are 11" long, ours are 1" long. And theirs are connected by ball and socket joints, such as the joints that connect our arms to our shoulders, allowing them a greater range of motion in their necks. Have you ever seen a video of two male giraffes fighting? Those ball and socket joints come in handy.

Mature male giraffes can weigh between 2,400 and 3,000 pounds, mature females 1,600 to 2,600 pounds.

Giraffes are very light sleepers. Some giraffes may sleep as little as 30 minutes a day. They usually sleep standing up, and may rest their head against a tree while they sleep. They need to be light sleepers as they are prey animals. Predators include lions and hyenas, which an adult giraffe can kill or maim with a kick from it's soup-bowl sized hooves.

How about this ninja move?

Name:  IMG_3614[1].jpg
Views: 182
Size:  19.8 KB

Giraffes do not need to drink every day. They obtain most of their water from the food they eat, and may only drink water every third day. They cannot kneel down to drink, as their knees are weak and cannot easily support their weight when bent. That is why they splay their front legs and bend their necks to drink. (Also why they usually sleep standing up.) The posture when drinking may look awkward, but it suits them. Even while drinking water, a giraffe needs to be alert and ready to run from predators.

There are special spigots in the blood vessels in their necks which close off to prevent a rush of blood to their brains which would otherwise cause cerebral hemorrhages when they lower their heads. Without this adaptation, a giraffe could suffer a fatal hemorrhage just from bending to grab a bite of food or a drink of water.

The skin on their legs fits very tightly to help push the blood through their bodies - much like the flight suits fighter pilots wear.

No two are exactly alike. They are all different, and special, and are one of nature's most spectacular creatures.

They might live 25 years in the wild, 30 or more in zoos or animal parks. Mortality rates are high for giraffe calves, with only about 50% surviving their first six months in the wild.

Name:  IMG_3612[1].jpg
Views: 187
Size:  17.4 KB

All of this is leading to something besides giraffic trivia.

It is just one more place for me to say, Happy Birthday, Giraffe!

Hey, this may be my recruiting thread, but I will use it shamelessly to promote birthday wishes, tell stories, post jokes or pictures, and do whatever it takes to get people to look at it! We are looking for a few more players. Take a chance, make a change in the new year. Give us a try.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 12-30-16 at 09:13 AM.
    You are braver than you believe, Stronger than you seem, Smarter than you think, and Loved more than you know.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Okay, there is no way to top a geezer/Viking baby. If you haven't seen it, it is worth searching for.

Note to self:
    (Stop mentioning other guilds, right NOW, you silly girl!)

I have no internet at my house. Grrrrrr! Might not have internet until tomorrow! I am at our shop, freezing (it is actually about 45F so just cold, but I am exaggerating a bit for effect), and my hubby is wanting to go do errands. We drove here in separate cars. I was here for about two hours fighting Robot Reboot. When we get back from errands, we will come here. He will drive home to check internet, and if it is still out, I will stay here to fight Robot and collect points for event. Sheesh! I am totally addicted to this game!

Anyway, Happy New Year, everyone!

Name:  IMG_3625[1].jpg
Views: 179
Size:  19.5 KB

Ack! I forgot to crop the picture! But you get what I mean. The sentiment stands, even if I am not good at posting pictures.
    You are braver than you believe, Stronger than you seem, Smarter than you think, and Loved more than you know.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Name:  IMG_3647[1].jpg
Views: 171
Size:  20.5 KB

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  11.7 KB

Hey 38,
    Thought I'd bumpity bump this post again.

We still looking for a couple troopers to make us complete.

Vader mind tricks- "You want to join the 501st!!"
    Name:  IMG_0335.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  51.4 KB
    Proud officer of 501st We're always looking for new members so come on & join us!
    May the Force b with You

It is really foggy in my area of Arkansas this morning.

How foggy is it, you ask?

It is so foggy that I am sitting at my desk with dripping wet hair. We walked our 1 1/2 miles in the fog, and my hair got wet. Wet, dripping hair. From FOG!

At least there were no monsters, ghosts, Ghoulies or things that went bump in the fog.

Haha. Get it? Bump in the fog!

Hey, what astodd said above. You know you want to join us.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 01-04-17 at 04:38 AM.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  14.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0370.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  40.8 KB
    Proud officer of 501st We're always looking for new members so come on & join us!
    May the Force b with You

The smurfs say: Join the 501st.

Name:  IMG_3839[1].jpg
Views: 151
Size:  21.9 KB

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Supercomp,
    I have been in VA for two weeks...so was away for my birthday...and missed all your lovely giraffe stories and birthday wishes.
    Thank you for thinking of me and hope you had as nice a birthday in November as I did in December. It was a big one for me...

Also wanted to bump your thread...
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

Some friends and I were talking about rock climbing this morning. I have been rock climbing a few times. On real rocks, not the new climbing walls. I would love to try the new climbing wall at a business in town. It is called, ironically, "The Wall". I mean, you are strapped on (in?) and if you fall you don't fall all the way to the bottom of a real cliff and kill or maim yourself. Hubby won't go, and I don't want to go by myself. Sigh. Oh, well, here is my rock climbing story.

Before we moved to Arkansas, while still living in Connecticut, we spent a week visiting Nova Scotia. Beautiful spot. Awesome tidal changes. Gorgeous views of the bays, the water, the sunsets. The people were friendly and the week was very memorable. My hubby and I collect rocks. It is something that came from my Uncle Bill. Uncle Bill was my father's brother in law, married to Dad's sister.

Uncle Bill had been a well-driller when I was a child, and he had traveled all over the US. I think Hawaii is the only state he did not visit. He collected rocks from his travels. He had a fabulous collection, including rocks that glow under black lights, and unusual rocks from all over the country. His collection is on permanent display in the town I grew up in. I loved him and my Aunt Sue, whose real name was Viberta. They are the ones who adopted my Aunt Eva's two girls after she died. Yes, the Aunt I was named after. Aunt Sue had the most gorgeous red hair. We were lucky that they lived close to us, and we visited them all the time when I was a kid. Along with my father's brother, Uncle Bud, and his wife, who was my mother's sister, Aunt Fran.

Oh, yeah, too much information. I tend to get sidetracked easily by memories. And I ramble on and on. Anyway, back to Nova Scotia.

We heard about a place called Amethyst Cove. You can find amethysts there if you are really lucky. We asked for directions from someone at a small gas station, and the people in the station all laughed. Bad sign. They gave us directions, and told us to make sure we were not at the beach when the tide came in.

They neglected to tell us about the cliff we would have to climb down to get to the cove.

We carefully followed their directions and set off on our quest to Amethyst Cove.

We parked the car and walked across an open field and through a stand of trees to find.............................................. ..........

large ropes leading down over the edge of a cliff.

I found the following pictures online:

Name:  IMG_3847[1].jpg
Views: 134
Size:  16.2 KB

Note: we were there in the summer, but this was the best picture of the rope.

Name:  IMG_3843[1].jpg
Views: 129
Size:  17.8 KB

The beach in winter. Again, we had no snow.

Name:  IMG_3846[1].jpg
Views: 134
Size:  17.1 KB

What the trail is like in the middle.

These are not my pictures, but pictures I found online. They illustrate the problem.

Problem, you say? What problem, SC?

Well the problem is that I was not expecting to have to climb down a steep cliff, aided by large ropes tied to trees, and oh, by the way, have I ever told you that although I love to fly, I am afraid of heights? Yep. Picture this: Scaredy cat (Me) standing at the top of the cliff whining that I did not want to climb down the cliff.

Hubby assured me that the ropes looked sturdy.

Needless to say, we climbed down, looked for amethysts, did not find amethysts, climbed back up and consider it to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

And maybe one day I will post about the time I had to climb up on the roof of our house. It's a doozy of a story.

We really do need a few more members. Join us and help us strengthen the force!

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

I saw something online about Astrological signs. I am a Scorpio. A lot of the traits and characteristics of the typical lists you see for Scorpios fit me perfectly.

I also found out that my preferred pets should be: cats and horses. Yep, I love them both.

Best colors: Purple, Maroon, Black with splashes of Red, shocking colors like Hot Pink. Yes, this fits me.

My favored cupcake, according to the info I found, should be Chocolate-Chocolate Chip. Nope. I love cupcakes, but this is not my favorite. Not even on my list of top ten cupcakes.

In the Chinese Astrological calendar, I am a Rat. (Born in 1948.)

In the Egyptian Astrological calendar, my sign would be Thoth. Which is interesting because he is associated with writing and manuscripts.

My favorite plants: Hibiscus and Basil. I do love hibiscus bushes, and hibiscus tea. And fresh Basil, especially when combined with tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella cheese and drizzled with a little olive or avocado oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper - yummy!

If I was a smurf, I would be Friendly Smurf, which is hilarious because I have always said I would be Grouchy Smurf. (According to BlueBuddies, a site for people who love smurfs.)

According to a site that assigns a Disney character by Astrological sign, I would be Pluto. Which is funny, if you look at the list of lucky gemstones they assign to Scorpios.

A lucky gemstone for me would be Garnet, which is associated with PLUTO, the planet that rules Scorpio. Except that now Pluto has been demoted and is no longer a planet. Amethyst, Rubies and Hematite are also good stones for me. Rubies? Hey, I love rubies in my cove. I need, want and covet rubies in my cove. In real life, I love Amethysts.

And at the end of the articles, I always find disclaimers. Like this one: Are You Sure You're a Scorpio? There is a push on to change the dates of the astrological signs. If this new trend catches on, I will be considered a Libra. NO WAY am I going to go through all the lists again and figure out all of the changes. I like being a Scorpio. It fits me very well.

You want to know what else fits me very well?

The 501st!

The little guild that won't quit.

If you are looking for a guild to join, try the 501st and see if it fits you.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

I am ready to cry! I spent 349 rubies to buy the ruby ship. This is what the preview of said ruby ship looks like:

Name:  IMG_4065[1].jpg
Views: 109
Size:  20.0 KB

This is what my fully upgraded ship looks like:

Name:  IMG_4064[1].jpg
Views: 105
Size:  17.0 KB

Notice any differences?

Yeah, the preview shows purple sparkliness around the ship! Does my ship have purple sparkliness around it? Nope. No. No purple sparkliness! ARRRRRRGHHHHHH!

I love purple sparkliness on my ships, and for 349 rubies, I want my ship to have purple sparkliness around it!

Okay, maybe it isn't really sparkliness, but more a purple aura. Whatever you call it, it isn't there on my ship!

Waaaaaahhhhhh! I was ripped off.

And if you are a mean, rough, tough pirate who doesn't care if your ship has purple or not, you ought to join the 501st. Or if you are a sensitive, caring, purple-loving pirate, you should join the 501st!

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Awwww SC.... I love the purple too! My favorite color. But you're still awesome and I don't wanna see you cry! You'll get your recruit. How could anyone resist your sweetness???
    No I do not wear tights.... I wear the required uniform!!!! If I can't find the uniform... I let my freak flag fly. Why? Because I can!!

I found the following on Wayfair.com. The designs are offered in canvas prints, pillows, sheets, and even a shower curtain. Very cute. Called "Jellybean Giraffes".

Name:  IMG_4189[1].jpg
Views: 94
Size:  15.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4190[1].jpg
Views: 89
Size:  12.1 KB

501st has room for 3. Join us in the insanity.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Okay, do you all want to hear something funny? When I first met my husband, in 1968, I drove a blue 1968 VW Beetle. Yep, I was driving it the day I met him! today's ruby deco is a Groovy Bug! Am I buying one? Nope. I had enough rubies to buy Groovy Bug or do today's quest for the Xanthite Sails quest. And since the Xanthite Sails quest is one of my X words, which I used in my story back in December, I chose Xanthite Sails over Groovy Bug!

This is the third one of my quest lines/stories PG has used! This game may be on the downhill side, but right now, I love it!

And we really do have a few spots left. Want to join us?

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Two beautiful mermaids swam through my cove this morning.

Name:  IMG_4289[1].jpg
Views: 90
Size:  16.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4291[1].jpg
Views: 86
Size:  16.2 KB

"If you allow yourself to breathe into the .............
    depth, wonder, beauty, craziness, and strife.........
    Everything that represents the fullness of your life...
    You can live fearlessly.

Because you come to realize that if you just keep breathing,
    You cannot be Conquered.
    (Oprah)

Join the 501st and join our craziness.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

I am a chocoholic. I do not need to join chocoholics anonymous because everyone who knows me knows I love chocolate.

My dream menu would be:

A cup of hot chocolate for breakfast.

Followed by a mid morning snack of:

A chocolate croissant. I don't make my own croissant dough. I cheat and use canned croissant dough. I use three different types of chocolate in them. A semi-sweet mini chip, a dark unsweetened chocolate, chopped finely, and a sweeter chocolate, either chips or something I chop. Lay the dough on the baking sheet, add the chocolate mixture, roll up and bake. Lucky for me my hubby would not eat them, so they are all mine.

For lunch:

Naan bread with Nutella. I heat my non-stick frying pan, slather some Kerry Gold butter on the bread and heat it up, then smear on the Nutella.

Afternoon snack:

An apple. Just about any kind would do. There are very few apples that I have tried that I do not like. And apples are healthy, right? I do try to eat right sometimes.

For supper:

Chia pudding. Which is really just chia seeds mixed into almond milk and left in the fridge all day. The seeds soak up the almond milk. I would mix in a bit of cacao powder, which is almost the same as cocoa, but processed a bit differently, about a half teaspoon of cinnamon, and maybe a teaspoon of maple syrup. Voila! Chocolate chia pudding for supper.

Does it seem excessive to dream of eating chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Join the 501st and we can talk about it. Or not.
    I know lots of dumb jokes, and I will tell them to you. Or not.
    We could talk about so many things. Hiking, biking, baking, books, cooking, dogs, cats, cars.

Or you could just join us, fight a lot in the next guild battle, score lots of points, barely sleep all weekend and become as nutty as I am. I must be nutty because I keep playing the game and trying to recruit players for the 501st.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

I think if we all indulged in afternoon tea, we would be a lot happier. I do not use caffeine, as I am quite wound up without it, but afternoon tea can include caffeine free teas, such as Rooibos. And think of the lovely desserts which can be served with your afternoon tea. Yes, I am a chocoholic, but lemon cake is also delicious.

Name:  IMG_4412[1].jpg
Views: 73
Size:  16.4 KB

I can't promise actual tea or lemon cake if you join the 501st, but I will supply you with virtual tea and cakes.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

I was going through my emails this morning, trying to weed out the junk. A monumental task since I rarely look at it on Saturday or Sunday.

There was something from Amazon, touting a book I might like based on items I had previously looked at. And I fell in love!

(This was before I saw my lovely Valentine from Thor on another thread. Now I have two reasons to smile this morning.)

Anyway, I saw an ad for the following:

Name:  IMG_4447[1].jpg
Views: 73

I knew of the concept of Hygge, but since I have no Scandinavian roots, I live in Arkansas, I don't drink coffee, and I try not to bake a lot because hubby and I are trying hard not to regain the weight we have worked so hard to lose, I have not paid too much attention to the idea.

Seeing the one book led me to look at others.

Name:  IMG_4445[1].jpg
Views: 65
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4448[1].jpg
Views: 75
Size:  18.0 KB

I think I need to expand my horizons. I have decided to pretend I am Scandinavian, and order a book or two from Amazon. And who knows, I may start a new trend here in my little corner of Arkansas.
    Last edited by 38supercomp; 02-13-17 at 08:40 AM.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Name:  IMG_4485[1].jpg
Views: 66
Size:  14.0 KB

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Bump

Some friends and I were talking about lemon trees the other day. I love lemons. They are one of the wonderful things we get from trees.

Lemons, oranges, olives, mangoes (or mangos, either is acceptable), avocados, persimmons, apples, pomegranates, peaches, pears, coconuts. We are so lucky to have trees. Maple trees for maple sugar. Weeping willows to hide under with your best friend when you are a child. Trees that grow for hundreds of years. Trees for the birds and squirrels and monkeys to live in. Trees to shade us from the heat of the sun.

Name:  IMG_4622[1].jpg
Views: 48
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4623[1].jpg
Views: 54
Size:  20.1 KB

If I had a seat with a view like this, I would sit for hours enjoying the view.

Name:  IMG_4624[1].jpg
Views: 49
Size:  20.7 KB

Nature's jewels.

Name:  IMG_4625[1].jpg
Views: 45
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4626[1].jpg
Views: 50

Name:  IMG_4627[1].jpg
Views: 51
Size:  19.9 KB

If I could live close to this beach, I would learn to love the beach!

Name:  IMG_4628[1].jpg
Views: 50
Size:  19.4 KB

And there is so much more.

Fig trees, date palms, giant sequoias, larches, linden trees, cypress trees, oaks, redwoods, cottonwoods. The names alone are enough to make me want to know more about them. So many trees.

Does anyone have a favorite tree?

Yeah, we still need members, but at this point it is too late for this event, and really, I am not sure this thread is helping us find people.

I just keep posting because I can. And because if I make one person think about trees, or fruit, or birds or butterflies or something else, it is worth it.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Here are some bribes for anyone who would like to join the 501st:

Name:  IMG_4828[1].jpg
Views: 43
Size:  15.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4829[1].jpg
Views: 40
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4830[1].jpg
Views: 46
Size:  16.1 KB

If chocolate doesn't work, how about a puppy or a kitten?

Name:  IMG_4833[1].jpg
Views: 40
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4836[1].jpg
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4837[1].jpg
Views: 42
Size:  20.3 KB

Or flowers?

Name:  IMG_4834[1].jpg
Size:  14.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4835[1].jpg
Views: 44
Size:  19.7 KB

Join the 501st and I will put you into the next Zippy story.

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Name:  IMG_4659[1].jpg
Views: 23
Size:  12.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4660[1].jpg
Views: 23
Size:  10.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4661[1].jpg
Views: 25
Size:  10.8 KB

Winnie the Pooh

Member 501st.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast