Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Applications Closed] Pocket Gems is looking for Forum Moderators!

I think it's important to note that we would not choose mods that are out-of-touch with each respective community. While the example of a new mod coming in and shuffling threads all over the place sounds scary, it's highly unlikely. Remember that an ideal mod is someone that's been around for a while, understands the needs and concerns of the community, and is basically one of *you*. It's not a surprise that the SP community is wacky and random when it comes to posting, but for the most part threads start out on-topic and answer what's being asked. A good mod understands this and acts within reason.

Sure, but there's more than the social aspect of the task - if that was everything, most loyal members would be great mods; this part of the forum is special and only an active insider could moderate it. Anybody who would follow the common rules of such a board wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm not concerned about this part, but started to comment on this topic for another reason:

There's also a technical side of the job, and that is something different: even though the tools will be easy to handle, the work might be underestimated: for example Salmo (sorry for adopting your hypothetical new job ) would start to collect all event threads, take a deserved timeout, return and figure out that a) someone posted elsewhere b) another mod rearranged the threads. Imagine such a scenario. Then there might be comments that are difficult to judge, and a too friendly mod could get problems - imagine that a newbie would contact them, pretend to be a friend but have other intentions. A good mod has also be aware of this dimension and accept that it's work.
    Various profiles and also comments in the abandoned parts of this forum still contain suspicious links. IMHO taking care of such links is an important part of an administrators or moderators job. I won't report them anymore, but be aware that those links aren't always posted by newbies. Be careful if you get PMs by those members.

Soon
    I am nagging a bit here but can I ask again, please. Is this/these Mod job/s to be thought of as perminent? My comment still stands that your 'people who good knowledge of the job' are people who have been playing for a long time and in the normal course would be retiring in the close future. All my other comments from #47 still stand.
    Another thing with the long timers is basic game changes that they never will be aware of and because of this could be handing outdated and wrong information. At the moment it is just one forumer passing on things that another could and would intervine with a 'hey guys that not quite correct anymore'. Once this information comes from an official it is a different thing altogether.
    BTW I could not apply if I wanted to and thanks to Kate for her copy of the application form. That logon and password are compromised until fixed.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

It's nearing 'que sera sera' time with all this, but I have one more "two cents worth" to put in then I'm done...

Kate, the technical aspect...it seems to not be a big woo, because unless I missed something no mention of technical abilities was covered on the application form. Perhaps it will be in the advanced weeding out of applicants that technical skills will be considered. I would think that the moderator should have ,at the very least ,a knowledge of how iOS systems operate, how Pocket ID works, how to troubleshoot game glitches, etc...to name a few. There have been frequent game related panics with Secret Passages, and a moderator who could immediately shed light on the issues at hand would be a plus.

Soon, you said the SP community was "wacky and random" when it came to posting. I won't argue with that...we wear our 'self-hugging jackets' with pride...lol. And honestly, I think the inmates have done a pretty good job of running the asylum. We've gone through some pretty rough patches over the years, but hey, the Forum is still standing, hasn't gone down in flames. I don't see how having an "official moderator" is going to add anything significant to what already exists. But if it is to be, then so be it...

You noted that the new moderator will be basically one of "you", but really the new mod will be just a little more than one of "you". The rest of us won't have access to the same tools to " shape our community"... btw,never cared for that turn of phrase in the Intro.

True, the Secret Passages Forum can be a Cuckoo's Nest at times. I just hope Nurse Ratched (He, She) doesn't show up as moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish eyes View Post
    Soon
    Is this/these Mod job/s to be thought of as perminent?
    No. We'd planned on reassessing every few months to see if a) others want to apply for the role and b) any existing mods either want to relinquish the role, or have other, more pressing goals to attend to.

Salmo:

You know you've always heard me say that I am the Randle McMurphy of the forum and Dr. Tammy has the proof. If there's anybody who needs moderating, at least moderately, it's me. Plus, I have mastered the fine art of typing with a straightjacket on.

So I am formally announcing my candidacy and nominating myself . . . to be me on the SP forum, at least until they either lobotomize me or I escape with the Chief. I promise to rant when needed, I promise to never let PG off-the-hook too easily, I promise to make SE pull her hair out occasionally, I promise to pull out my pom-poms and cheer everybody on during the World Events, I promise to continue to write long-winded manifestos that make everybody roll their eyes and drink another glass of wine, I promise to produce statistics and lists that have the best intentions but probably bore the heck out of most forumers, I promise to keep calling you all my brothers and sisters, but most of all I promise to be unmoderated me.

Wait a minute . . . Jimbo just told me that I only received 1 vote and it has a hanging chad.
    Paradise Cove - Leader of the Darkwings (PM me about joining our guild)

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

Secret Passages - Billionaire Bandits

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by igotahavit View Post
    Salmo:

You know you've always heard me say that I am the Randle McMurphy of the forum and Dr. Tammy has the proof. If there's anybody who needs moderating, at least moderately, it's me. Plus, I have mastered the fine art of typing with a straightjacket on.

So I am formally announcing my candidacy and nominating myself . . . to be me on the SP forum, at least until they either lobotomize me or I escape with the Chief. I promise to rant when needed, I promise to never let PG off-the-hook too easily, I promise to make SE pull her hair out occasionally, I promise to pull out my pom-poms and cheer everybody on during the World Events, I promise to continue to write long-winded manifestos that make everybody roll their eyes and drink another glass of wine, I promise to produce statistics and lists that have the best intentions but probably bore the heck out of most forumers, I promise to keep calling you all my brothers and sisters, but most of all I promise to be unmoderated me.

Wait a minute . . . Jimbo just told me that I only received 1 vote and it has a hanging chad.
    Gotta, you opened the door with your " long-winded manifestos" in your post and it brought to mind the following. I know you have a sense of humor or I wouldn't post it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XriXDtfqCg&sns=em
    Last edited by salmo23; 02-12-16 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salmo23 View Post
    Gotta, you opened the door with your " long-winded manifestos" in your post and it brought to mind the following. I know you have a sense of humor or I wouldn't post it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XriXDtfqCg&sns=em
    OMG, I just ran and put on a pair of Depends! I let out a little pee. Too funny. Even more funny is the fact that there are some forumers out there who probably sit there (reading my posts) like Jackie Gleason with their head ready to explode.

Listen, Trump has nothing on me, as far as rhetoric is concerned. And even funnier still is, if you knew me in real life, I'm more (looks and personality) like Ralph Kramden, then The Donald. LMAO! Too funny.

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Salmo, the software itself is easy to handle, that's not what I meant, but the factor "time" is underestimated. A good mod would direct a technical question to the right person or link it to another thread. In addition to that there's something else and that's another problem, and that's belongs to the category "be aware that this is an online community". Still not saying that the mod is a good/bad idea, but it has to be an addition to the staff - and I hope it shouldn't replace the staff in any way.

Igotta, you should get the job, so that nobody is forced to read your manifestos (just kidding ).
    Various profiles and also comments in the abandoned parts of this forum still contain suspicious links. IMHO taking care of such links is an important part of an administrators or moderators job. I won't report them anymore, but be aware that those links aren't always posted by newbies. Be careful if you get PMs by those members.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Salmo, the software itself is easy to handle, that's not what I meant, but the factor "time" is underestimated. A good mod would direct a technical question to the right person or link it to another thread. In addition to that there's something else and that's another problem, and that's belongs to the category "be aware that this is an online community". Still not saying that the mod is a good/bad idea, but it has to be an addition to the staff - and I hope it shouldn't replace the staff in any way.

Igotta, you should get the job, so that nobody is forced to read your manifestos (just kidding ).
    Kate:

Shhh! Don't give them any ideas. I have at least another 2-3 million more good posts in me. LOL. I don't want to be sent to the gulag.

Quote Originally Posted by igotahavit View Post
    Kate:

Shhh! Don't give them any ideas. I have at least another 2-3 million more good posts in me. LOL. I don't want to be sent to the gulag.
    Tearing my hair out, getting louder, Tearing, you say TEARING. Shouting now. I will have you know my hair used to be my crowning glory and now is a shadow of its former self and all because a Gotnone came around to cause me grief. So you think it is funny that I am like this Jackie Gleeson person (who!). Calmed down now.
    You talk about posts, just add mine, the lowest, to Kates, quite a few, lastly to Darks, quite a lot and then go and sit down in a dark room. In the old cowboy vernacular 'you're just a boy, boy'.
    Sal has the right of it. The inmates do a fine job.
    I find Soon's answer at 56 a bit........ Disturbing (not quite) Worrying (not that either) vague or unfinished is probably closest. Without an end term of office it seems to give more credence to my concerns but I think I have said too much, like the spectre at the party so this is me shutting up and signing out of this thread............ For now.
    Last edited by Spanish eyes; 02-13-16 at 12:36 AM.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

not sure if this has been mentioned already, but i would love if the forum moderator makes it a point to highlight new forumers' posts when they approve them since threads don't show up as bolded in these cases. i know that some of us are pretty good at discovering such posts, but this would be the kind of thing that would be perfect for the moderator.
    STILL WAITING FOR SOME COS GROVE
    v2.97-446,0; HPZM7RJFRG; iPad2 15GB iOS 8.1.1 (12B435); lv116
    my SP hang-ups: sticky power-ups, 'lost progress' crashes, limitless ore
    wishlist: trading shelf in cos / epoch, ability to pause a craft

I second the nomination of the Unabomber.....I mean Gota. I like his manifestos much better. Go Ralphy....I could clobber ya.....
    Jimbo

My friend has a trophy wife, but I don' think it was first place.......

The closest I get to a food diary is my shirt at the end of the day......

A piņata that doesn't break is broken......

Today someone knocked on my door asking for a donation to the local swimming pool, so I gave him a glass of water......

Intrepid Explorer
    I have noticed some people have cyan/light blue/whatever names now (for example darkangel). Are these the mods?
    iPad 4, iOS 9.3.2
    Secret Passages: 2.97; Support ID: QPQDAM0PH8

Quote Originally Posted by grave digger View Post
    I have noticed some people have cyan/light blue/whatever names now (for example darkangel). Are these the mods?
    We think.

I was wondering the same thing...
    iPad Air 2
    Gamecenter ID: wildflourgirl

they are. anyone whose names have changed color are your new Mods for the forums. Congrats to all who were chosen

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareGhost View Post
    they are. anyone whose names have changed color are your new Mods for the forums. Congrats to all who were chosen
    It's like an Easter Egg hunt...I can find four...
    Last edited by salmo23; 02-24-16 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salmo23 View Post
    It's like an Easter Egg hunt...I can find four...

DA, Damedesetoiles, LIMom, and dLoww.
    Did you find all the eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareGhost View Post
    Did you find all the eggs?
    Not sure, I got tired of looking.

Great ! it would be nice to have an official post from PG presenting who the new mods are.
    Level 110
    Ipad Air 2
    Support ID: ZXNXUB92QA

Longtime Tapper
    Last edited by PvilleCA; 12-09-16 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleCA View Post
    PGwilsooon posted the official announcement this eve, approx 9pm PT.

https://forums.pocketgems.com/showth...rum-Moderators!

The Moderators are:
    - darkangel
    - LImom
    - Damedesetoiles
    - dLoww
    Except for Dark they dont know SP and SP doesnt know them. I hope this will change but with the number of games some will have to stretch themselves thin or are they sharing games out between them. You know the drill, I'll take x game and give you y. From what Somegot said in another post three are active in TPC. I am sat very firmly, you might say glued, to the fence but my bag is by my feet.
    So annoying having two threads going but this is just a follow up on my part and I read this first.
    I have just been searching out stuff.
    This comment is in no way meant as a critisism of the new moderators but is definately a question for PG themselves. I am shocked to find all four mods are TPC active. Apart from Dark not one of them seems to visit elsewhere. I am pushed to ask 'is TPC more important than the rest of the games or is this where the majority of the applications came from?' I accept that the judges decision is final and they pay the piper but it still raises questions. I am still of the same opinion so maybe it is a contradiction for me to be asking any questions but I like to stay open minded and never mind admitting when I am wrong about something. Just for example - I hated using PU's in the crypt but hated it even more when it was taken away.

a few of us:- Sal, Dark, Kate, Me and some others dip our feet in stuff from the main 'Forum' page. I havent noticed anything there from the Mods but I do miss stuff. As PG never visit certain of those first page thingys 'bugs - feedbacks - etc.' It is down to the Forum' as a whole to help out there is it not?
    Having just done one of these trawls it brings to mind the fact that we could have CL or RL people as Mods. Now they all sound very nice people if a tad young.

edit. Soon. I am in no way criticising the people chosen. I am rather concerned with your statement - 'but remember this is to Improve the Community Overall.'

I am now relaxing for a few minutes with a well earned cuppa. All my entries today even more than normal have been written inbetween RL stuff. I have a couple of pictures in my head.
    A group of mainly men sat round a table, obviously a morning meeting. On says 'well she is consistant anyway. We expected her to criticise and her she comes, reliable if nothing else.' They all shake their heads in exasperation.
    Second one. After the meeting an irate Soon is jumping up and down with steam coming out of his ears with a paper list on the floor. 'Why doesnt she go away and leave me to do my job!' He askes the world at large. Then wanders off in search of a pint of good warm ale in which to drown his sorrows.
    Last edited by Spanish eyes; 02-25-16 at 03:23 AM.
    SMELL THE ROSES.

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleCA View Post
    PGwilsooon posted the official announcement this eve, approx 9pm PT.

https://forums.pocketgems.com/showth...rum-Moderators!

The Moderators are:
    - darkangel
    - LImom
    - Damedesetoiles
    - dLoww
    Thanks PvilleCA. On a positive note, this is a community and I don't see this new addition to the forum in a negative way. Everyone is here to help!
    Level 110
    Ipad Air 2
    Support ID: ZXNXUB92QA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast