Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Applications Closed] Pocket Gems is looking for Forum Moderators!

I'm not posting or following the forum regularly anymore, but I'd really like to know more details about the moderation:

Is a moderator needed to maintain the forum so that the staff doesn't have to check it for spam etc. regularly or will there be futher abilities, I suppose especially the sp forum doesn't follow the common dynamics of a forum, so that a moderatortion would be highly subjective.

If the moderation includes options such as looking into private information (subscribed e-mail-address, ip-address, inbox etc.), I expect that everyone is informed before the moderators are introduced and everybody has the opportunity to delete their account prior they get active.

If you're curious about the potential options, go here:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...ing-moderators
    Various profiles and also comments in the abandoned parts of this forum still contain suspicious links. IMHO taking care of such links is an important part of an administrators or moderators job. I won't report them anymore, but be aware that those links aren't always posted by newbies. Be careful if you get PMs by those members.

Intrepid Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    ... moderation includes options such as looking into private information (subscribed e-mail-address, ip-address, inbox etc.)...
    I must admit I have been fretting about this aspect too. Not that I have anything to hide [*whistles innocently] .

Rather than ask whether the moderators will have these rights, I would like to simply request that they DON'T, and that this is confirmed publicly. Thanks.
    iPad 4, iOS 9.3.2
    Secret Passages: 2.97; Support ID: QPQDAM0PH8

Quote Originally Posted by grave digger View Post
    I must admit I have been fretting about this aspect too. Not that I have anything to hide [*whistles innocently] .

Rather than ask whether the moderators will have these rights, I would like to simply request that they DON'T, and that this is confirmed publicly. Thanks.
    Amen to that!

So agree with GD here.
    Level 117 just in time.

Whew, a lot to cover here.

First of all, we take maintaining player privacy very seriously, and moderators won't be able to view any information on other players that isn't public already.

Even after selecting moderators for the forums, PG folks like myself will continue to do what we do in terms of watching the forums and jumping in when necessary. Having moderators will help us stay on top of any issues that pop up sooner. Some of you have PMed us when conversations in threads turn sour already, so that's nothing new! As a matter of fact, a lot of the things that moderators will be doing are things that a lot of you guys are already doing, and we really appreciate that! Mods will just be able to help clean up threads, direct players to the right resources, and give PG a heads-up when problems pop up.

Also, I think salmo said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by salmo23 View Post
    Whoever is chosen will never satisfy everyone no matter how qualified they might be. It's the personality thing...we all like or dislike a person for this reason or that. The reason I may like someone, may be why you dislike them and vice versa.
    However, we'll be doing our homework before selecting someone as a moderator, so that we can at least have a happy majority. It remains unsaid that anyone applying wants, in the end, to make the community a better place. Keep in mind that mods will still be held to the same rules and standards that all other players are.

Lastly, if you're looking for more power or any kind of insider information as a moderator, then look elsewhere. Sorry, but that's not what this position is about!

I nominate Jimmy and Ace Face. Their tightly undone and sadly ecstatic. Those are the best Mods that I know of. Oops, they may be out of their brain on the 5:15, so I take that back.

I think the kids are alright on the forum, just the way they are. IMO.
    Paradise Cove - Leader of the Darkwings (PM me about joining our guild)

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

Secret Passages - Billionaire Bandits

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Wilson, good to know, imho the rights should be communicated to clarify the moderator's tasks.

Oh, and I nominate Waldorf and Statler.
    Various profiles and also comments in the abandoned parts of this forum still contain suspicious links. IMHO taking care of such links is an important part of an administrators or moderators job. I won't report them anymore, but be aware that those links aren't always posted by newbies. Be careful if you get PMs by those members.

Talking Less than one week left!

Hi All!

February 14th is just around the corner, and we've received some promising applications for forum mods so far! If you're still on the fence about it, it's better to take a few minutes to fill out the application form just in case! A few questions have come up in the past week, so I'll try to address them here:

Can forum moderators view personal information?
    No, we're being very careful when setting up the account permissions for forum moderators to make sure they won't be able to look up your IP addresses, change your personal settings, or any other invasion of privacy. Ideally, someone who's selected as a mod wouldn't think to do anything unconscionable, but you never know, so we'll be doing our best to not even make it an option.

Can mods still post feedback, suggestions, complaints, etc. on the forums?
    YES! Being a mod doesn't take you out of being able to participate in the community. That would be counterproductive.

What kind of additional powers do forum mods get?
    Forum mods won't be able to do anything special aside from being able to move, delete, and edit threads. They'll be able to approve posts from new users (and remove ones from spammers). They will also have access to a Moderator forum where they'll be able to check in with PG Support about issues they see or get info on issues that PG Support posts. It's essentially a big inbox between mods and PG as opposed to their own personal Inbox.

Will mods get insider information?
    Mods won't be given any secrets to help gain themselves or their friends any advantage in the game. That's not what this position is about! The conversations mods will have with PG Support will mostly be centered around "this is a concern we see happening right now" or "how should this situation be handled?", etc.

What if a moderator I take issue with is selected?
    I couldn't have said it better myself:
    Whoever is chosen will never satisfy everyone no matter how qualified they might be. It's the personality thing...we all like or dislike a person for this reason or that. The reason I may like someone, may be why you dislike them and vice versa.
    We'll be doing our homework on our end to try to make our selections as fair and likable to all as possible.
    Last edited by PGWilsooon; 02-16-16 at 12:42 PM.

Could this be the main reason?!

"They'll be able to approve posts from new users (and remove ones from spammers)."

Hope you are aware that some people regard the forum and game as their job. Of course I'm not sure how many spambots, sleepers and fake users are around, but usually a social software such as vbulletin attracts them. Maybe those who think the moderation is an great position should get to know some numbers.

Intrepid Explorer
    I hope we get a moderator with a sense of humor and not a by the book dictator who sees spam in almost every post. There is real spam like advertising spam and then there is friendly or silly conversation that a stickler might consider spam but that the majority could choose to ignore or join in with.

And there's Spam spam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Thanks Widgy, wherever you are.
    Last edited by salmo23; 02-10-16 at 08:15 AM.

I'm talking about commercial spam and those people who are trying to abuse contacts, I don't expect that everybody is aware of those spammer's total number (I'd say up to 90 percent of all new members, check the number, do the maths). I think the moderation is mainly needed for tasks such as weeding out the forum if for example new games get independent forums.

To clarify one thing, I'm not against moderators as long as they don't abuse their position or are too ambitious, but I'm also afraid that they aren't prepared or know what to expect and am fair enough to mention this problem. Now feel free to start the next attack.

Not from me...

Have a nice day.

Not from me...

Have a nice day.
    No, not from you, you're none of those who start weird attacks, but sadly there are some people around who actually believe I would begrudge them the job.

Personally, I can't envision how anyone who actively participates in the forum and vigorously plays one or more PG games would even have the time to take on the extra responsibilities PG is seeking in an official moderator. What they are looking for sounds to me more like it should be a PG position, full or part time with pay.

Exactly, it would be great if one or two players could create sticky posts or move posts if the op asks therefore, this would make sense. Monitoring the forum for/reporting bugs should work anyway, the demand for certain features is highly individual and PG has their own plans anyway, if a post is offending or doesn't belong to a certain topic isn't something a moderator should decide - this wouldn't be helpful for the poster and moderator... Hope my argumentation doesn't sound unfair, but I've seen how social software works and that even a skilled (and paid) programmer can hardly modify the software to avoid spam bots and sleepers (we've seen some, their initial posts are normal and they start to contact players out of the blue).

New posters are (this might be a little confusing, but bear with me) moderated, meaning that they're hidden from view to regular users until approved by an admin. Anything that looks like spam or contains questionable links is removed so that it never shows up to the public forum. There isn't a whole lot of this, but it shows up from time to time.

To reiterate, a lot of the things a moderator would be doing aren't very different from what an active community member is already doing. Stickying certain posts makes sense, and is tentatively something that mods will be able to do.

And there's Spam spam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Thanks Widgy, wherever you are.
    Wow I've been gone a while but you are still thinking of me I am touched. I volunteer for the moderator. I promise to log on once a year and check 4 or 5 posts. I have had to delete the game to make room for more pictures of the little guy, who is getting big already. He is making his mom crazy. I just smile and think "That's my boy". I do miss the people here that is why I stopped back. Saw this thread and knew there would be active discussion. I'm glad most of you are still playing and I hope all are doing well. I will stop back every few months to say hey. Oh and I will not be mad at the new moderator for deleting my post since it has nothing to do with the game and is completely irrelevant.
    I restarted before all the cool kids!
    10 anvils 82 seedlings

A legend has graced the forum today!

My Brother!

I sent you a PM.
    Paradise Cove - Leader of the Darkwings (PM me about joining our guild)

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

Secret Passages - Billionaire Bandits

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Intrepid Explorer
    Quote Originally Posted by widget223 View Post
    Wow I've been gone a while but you are still thinking of me I am touched. I volunteer for the moderator. I promise to log on once a year and check 4 or 5 posts. I have had to delete the game to make room for more pictures of the little guy, who is getting big already. He is making his mom crazy. I just smile and think "That's my boy". I do miss the people here that is why I stopped back. Saw this thread and knew there would be active discussion. I'm glad most of you are still playing and I hope all are doing well. I will stop back every few months to say hey. Oh and I will not be mad at the new moderator for deleting my post since it has nothing to do with the game and is completely irrelevant.
    Hi Widget,
    So afterall not only SE billionaire attempt the only event can summon You back to us even if only for a second.
    You would see Your name appearing many times after your wise decision, which we understand and regret too. Have fun out there!
    Event name: H(o)ll(o)w / Olevia280723700, lvl 65, support ID: C8C4MGX4B4
    AT free thanks to GOD...

No daily bonus since March update.
    Love You ALL! Forumers rock this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    I'm talking about commercial spam and those people who are trying to abuse contacts, I don't expect that everybody is aware of those spammer's total number (I'd say up to 90 percent of all new members, check the number, do the maths). I think the moderation is mainly needed for tasks such as weeding out the forum if for example new games get independent forums.

To clarify one thing, I'm not against moderators as long as they don't abuse their position or are too ambitious, but I'm also afraid that they aren't prepared or know what to expect and am fair enough to mention this problem. Now feel free to start the next attack.
    hi Kate, glad to see you are still around. Can you clarify something for me please? A while ago you were actively, or so I thought anyway, pushing the idea of moderators. Now you, in your last paragraph, seem reserved about the idea.
    https://forums.pocketgems.com/showth...l=1#post500501

this reads badly. I cannot follow it and I wrote it so to clarify:-
    The last paragraph is the one that starts 'To clarify'.
    The link is the one where I thought you were advocating moderators.
    just done a re-read and at the end you mention attacks. I am not sure who or what you are refering to. I do know we have had our run ins but that shows we both have passion both for the game and for forum itself. I hope you are not refering to me as my comments are in no way meant to attack anyone. I am glad you are still about and healthy discussion brings things out that might be missed. As in your talking about the problems a moderator might meet.
    Last edited by Spanish eyes; 02-11-16 at 03:01 AM.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

Different thingy so I gave it a different post.
    One of the things that made me so against moderators was the idea that Kate showed of them being able to hand out bans. It sounded horrific and has left a big mark or should I say scar.
    I read this in my reply to Kate's post from nearly a year ago and it is still relevant now, UD. So can I ask Soon or any of the PTP to please look at this:-

One last thing I just thought of. We are constantly getting new forumers which is fantastic. We are loosing ones whos game is done and they have nothing more to add or mostly because with no game then they have no interest in forum. Again just as it should be. FR, AMAC, PFNZ, CJZimmer, the list is long. The point is we are constantly changing and evolving, so who continues to moderate?

This is a direct copy but with bits taken out of my comments from 15th April 2015. Look who has left and who are now with us in that time. I imagine the moderator/s whoever is/are chosen sitting in the corner, the spectre at the party, with another reason to hang on long after they should have retired. It looks like it is a done thing and the job is coming like it or not so my suggestion, for what it is worth, is to have a time limit on the job and also have two or three together rather than just one. In any political office it is only for a term and is called democracy. So would it not be good to show some democracy here?
    I counted back and I have seen 7 or 8 PG people holding the CS job that Soon now holds. If PG themselves have a constant turnaround of staff holding that role then surely a moderator should not be permanent? It would be like being a Queen watching PM's come and go. The Queen at least was born and bred for the job.
    Last word. I decided to have a look see at the 'application form' I could not actually open it.

my vote is for Widgy.
    Last edited by Spanish eyes; 02-11-16 at 02:55 AM.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

SE, I'm not talking about you, there's always a difference between a great argumentation and offending comments. Theoretically this forum needs moderators, but it's too late to introduce them, the sp forum follows a weird structure and I have a theory why they are needed. What can be done is either very limited or PGs job as Salmo noticed either.

Surely Pg will take a look at new users and try to weed them out (generated names, ip-addresses, countries could be the criteria), the problem is that those spammer's know the criteria and occasionally they are using another strategy or post 3 normal post (you will find them, they don't really match to the topic, just take a look at a spammer's previous posts). If I would run a forum and know that there's a moderator, I wouldn't risk to ban a member with e.g. a name that contains numbers, an Indian mail-adressed or Chinese ip, it could still be a customer. Think about the cheaters and you know how successfully this works, just that there are more spam bots than cheaters.

Oh, the form, totally forgot to check it, you need a google account to open it, I did that and took a screenshot, I'll edit the next pages later.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  11.4 KB
    Last edited by Kate; 02-11-16 at 04:57 AM.

Page 1:

"Pocket Gems Forum Moderator Application

Welcome to the Forum Moderator Application! Please try to fill out this form to the best of your ability. Detail is appreciated, but short, to-the-point answers have more impact than drawn out ones. Have something to add that wasn't on the main application? Don't worry, there's an Optional section at the bottom!
    We're looking forward to seeing how you hope to help make our community a better place!

*Required

Disclaimers
    Since we don't want to burden you with tiny, illegible font, pretend these are all read very quickly like that guy at the end of car commercials. Jokes aside, please read these carefully and acknowledge them:

Please note that forum moderators are not Pocket Gems employees. Any services and forum activities performed as a Pocket Gems forum moderator are entirely voluntary. *
    I have read and accepted this statement.
    Required
    Pocket Gems reserves the right to revoke forum moderator privileges at any time without advance notice. *
    Required
    Forum moderators are fully responsible for the posts that they make. The views presented by moderators may not necessarily represent the views of Pocket Gems. *
    Required"

Page 2:

"About You

What is your Pocket Gems forum name, and in-game name (if applicable)? *
    Answer

Which of our games do you play, and how often? *

Barely, or not at all A few times a week Every day! Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night tapping

Campus Life
    Hidden Agendas: The Lionheart Mystery
    Secret Passages: Hidden Objects
    Tap Paradise Cove
    Other Pocket Gems Games
    Campus Life
    Hidden Agendas: The Lionheart Mystery
    Secret Passages: Hidden Objects
    Tap Paradise Cove
    Other Pocket Gems Games
    If you selected "Other Pocket Gems Games", which ones?
    Answer

Which game would you consider your primary game? *
    Choose
    What level are you in your primary game? *
    Answer

Which of these best describes your forum activity? *
    Check all that apply.
    I primarily hang out in one forum.
    I browse multiple Pocket Gems Forums.
    I check in a few times a week just to see what's going on.
    I check in once a day to catch up on new threads.
    I browse the forums multiple times a day.
    I mostly "lurk" and rarely post.
    I post when I feel strongly about a particular topic.
    I actively engage in forum discussions and take part in plenty of back-and-forth with other forumers.
    Required
    What days and times are you most active on the forums? *
    Please provide your Time Zone or Region, too!
    Answer"

Page 3:

"Short-Answer Questions
    Just a few short questions. Just relax and speak your mind!
    Why do you want to become a forum moderator? *
    Answer

What do you feel is the biggest need right now in the forum community? *
    Answer

What is your favorite thing about the forum community? *
    Answer"

Page 4

"How would you go about this issue?

Some answers may be better than others, but we really want to understand your thought process here. PLEASE NOTE: You may choose to answer these in the form of an actual post you'd make on the forums. Just put it in quotes " " so we know.

A few players have started arguing to each other on the forums, accusing each other of conspiring to manipulate leaderboard event scores. What would you do? *
    Answer

A group of players have begun to harass another player for the views they've laid out in another post. How would you diffuse the situation? *
    Answer

A forumer has taken issue with the decision to ban or suspend another player on the forums for breaking a forum rule. How would you respond? *
    Answer

Other Notes
    If you feel like there's something we left out that you wanted to address, or have any questions, let us know here!
    Answer"

That's it, I edited it a bit so that the questions/content are easier to find and removed the translated parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kate; 02-11-16 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks Kate! I wondered what it looked like, but didn't feel compelled to go beyond the sign in.

Hypothetical...

PG: "Meet your new moderator folks! It's salmo23."

salmo23: "Hi, 'y'all , first thing I'm gonna do is move all the Events and Event related threads, past, present and future to the sub forums. I know this was discussed before and even a Poll was created to get feedback but I truly feel that the subs is the best place for such things as Events."

The above was my own personal bias. I'm not comfortable with a player/forum member moderator monkeying around with the threads. In the past, when PG has suggested moving threads to sub forums, we have been able to put in our two cents worth and for the most part have been heard. And inappropriate threads are yanked by PG in a NY minute...don't see why the new moderator should be given those powers.

Not to worry. I would never consider applying. I vote for Widgy too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast