Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football (American style) season is upon us! Let's rant and rave.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Longtime Tapper

Football (American style) season is upon us! Let's rant and rave.

It's fall, it's the US of A, and football is the name of the game. There seem to be many forumers who like this game, are knowledgable, and are die-hard fans. Let's talk about it here, where we can keep everything together.

Intrepid Explorer
    Good idea. I have tonight's game on, Pittsburg vs New England. Go Pats Go!!!!!!!

Boo hoo hoo, baseball between Blue a Jays and Yankess rained out. Double header on Saturday. Maybe just as well after the blowout last night.

Intrepid Explorer
    Running with my dog in the Hills of Zurich
    Hey Kiwi: Let's Go Buffalo...I miss the Jim Kelly/Andre Reed era.

Intrepid Explorer
    Oh my gosh those four heart breaking super bowl attempts. But Kelly is my all time favourite quarterback.

Longtime Tapper
    LOL...come on all you Canucks...no love for the CFL? I don't follow American football but do root for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers...and aside from Saskatchewan are earning the Bomber name!
    Support ID: UDDBHU7EJB

Gronk is a BEAST!
    iPad Air 2
    Gamecenter ID: wildflourgirl

Whoever drafted Brady really late in the drafts, due to what should have been a suspension, really came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    Whoever drafted Brady really late in the drafts, due to what should have been a suspension, really came up.
    And the guy in our league who did, didn't play him! :-o
    iPad Air 2

Yawn.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish eyes View Post
    Yawn.
    Hang in there, SE...I think Tiddlywinks season will be starting soon.

Quote Originally Posted by salmo23 View Post
    Hang in there, SE...I think Tiddlywinks season will be starting soon.
    is this a game thingy that everyone is discussing or what! To me it is discussion to go to sleep by.
    Support ID Q4A2FX9NCT Ipad Air a very interesting - level 117.
    SMELL THE ROSES.
    Usual Disclaimer shortened to UD means in my opinion, limited to my game, my style of play, in my experience, only speaking for myself, I am only giving my own opinion of my game play I would also cordially like to remind you that everyone not only plays differently but everyone had different games so what is right/works for one may not for another. It is NOT a one size fits all. I am still having fun.

Intrepid Explorer
    Yes I am yawning from staying up late to watch the game. Keep it up Pats. I see the commissioner did not go to the game"????????

Quote Originally Posted by KIWICANUCK View Post
    Yes I am yawning from staying up late to watch the game. Keep it up Pats. I see the commissioner did not go to the game"????????
    He didn't want to be a "distraction"...
    iPad Air 2

Intrepid Explorer
    Or to be "deflated" by his reception"????????????

Exactly!
    iPad Air 2

Man, I feel bad for your friend Mrsflobob. Unless he has Aaron Rodgers I don't think he'll get production like that out of a QB this week. Then again, I could always be wrong and we may see the rejuvenation on Ryan Fitzmoney!

He's got his eggs in the Sam Bradford basket!
    iPad Air 2

OH! My brother has been raving about him this year. Health is a big concern with Bradford though.

Listen, I am a die-hard Eagles fan. If, and I know it's dicey, but if they can keep Bradford healthy, in Kelly's offense he's gonna put up insane numbers. I doubt any of you were able to watch the preseason games for the Eagles, but in the limited time that Bradford played, he hit everything except for the lottery! And, he played against the Colts, the Ravens, and the Packers starting defenses (who are all Super Bowl contenders), and carved them up.

Again, I know it's preseason and he has to stay healthy, but, boy, if he can play 16+ games this year, it's going to be fun.
    Paradise Cove - Leader of the Darkwings (PM me about joining our guild)

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

Secret Passages - Billionaire Bandits

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Intrepid Explorer
    Running with my dog in the Hills of Zurich
    Igottahavit: since my Bills probably will choke like always, maybe I will cheer for the Eagles. We loved Philly on our visit a couple years ago. The docent at The Betsy Ross House let us in through the exit then told us where to find the best Philly Cheesesteaks (food cart at 3rd and Market). Way better than the ones from those famous restaurants across the street from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Igottahavit: since my Bills probably will choke like always, maybe I will cheer for the Eagles. We loved Philly on our visit a couple years ago. The docent at The Betsy Ross House let us in through the exit then told us where to find the best Philly Cheesesteaks (food cart at 3rd and Market). Way better than the ones from those famous restaurants across the street from each other.
    Matilda:

Yeah, Pat's and Gino's Steaks are okay. There are better ones, though. It seems like you found one. Really glad that you had a good time in my city. Philly is underrated. My inlaws have started coming down from North Jersey every Thanksgiving and we take them on tours throughout the city. Lot's of fun here in colonial Philly.

Funny you should mention Betsy Ross' House. First, I've been there more times than I can count. Second, I have a great story regarding Betsy's house. Way back in the no internet days (1976), Philly held a lot of events during the Bicentennial year. My grandfather used to take me almost every weekend to these events and historic sights downtown. One day he took me to Betsy Ross' House. Now I was a wee lad then and not too overly excited about seeing Betsy's house. Well we were walking up to the courtyard (Betsy's house was on our right, which is before the courtyard) and there is a door that exits out onto Arch Street (if you Google Betsy's house you'll see the white door that I am referring to). This door is now non-accessible and has been for a while, as they force everybody to enter and exit through the courtyard. However, back during the Bicentennial it was functional. Just as my grandfather and I walked past that door back in 1976, wham, we collided with IMO one of the most beautiful women of all-time . . . . Grace Kelly. What a wonderful women, cordial, apologetic, spoke with us about the Bicentennial, not like actors and actresses today who won't give you the time. And I remember her (and her entourage) walking away and waving to us and my grandfather saying, "best fellow, remember this day because you'll probably never meet a real princess in your lifetime again." Sadly, several years later she died in that awful car crash. I never have met another real princess, but oddly enough, I did go to high school with Grace Kelly's nephews. But you never know who you'll run into in downtown Philly.

Like I said, I highly recommend Philly to everybody. You can come here and start at one end of the block and get a cheesesteak, then walk a bit and get a soft pretzel, then walk some more and get some of the best water ice, etc., all while seeing where Benji, Georgie, Johnny, Tommy and the rest of the crew did their thing back in 1776. Just remember, when you order a cheesesteak here you have to tell the "guy" (everybody here has a "guy" or knows a "guy") I want it "wit" or "witout." "Wit" means you want onions, if not, "witout." And if the "guy" is not listening you say, "Yo, pal, I'm tryin' to get somtin' to eat here." You always say "Yo" when addressing somebody and if you're from North Philly and you're addressing a group of people you say, "Hey, yuse guys." And we don't "go to the beach in New Jersey" we go "donn'a sure for the weekend or on vacation."

Remembering Nayjon (1970-2017), guildmate and lover of TPC. I'll miss you, brother!

The Billionaire Bandit club finished 78 strong and I'm proud of all who made this so much fun. Visit the Hall of Fame sticky thread for a list of Billionaire Bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by igotahavit View Post
    Matilda:

Yeah, Pat's and Gino's Steaks are okay. There are better ones, though. It seems like you found one. Really glad that you had a good time in my city. Philly is underrated. My inlaws have started coming down from North Jersey every Thanksgiving and we take them on tours throughout the city. Lot's of fun here in colonial Philly.

Funny you should mention Betsy Ross' House. First, I've been there more times than I can count. Second, I have a great story regarding Betsy's house. Way back in the no internet days (1976), Philly held a lot of events during the Bicentennial year. My grandfather used to take me almost every weekend to these events and historic sights downtown. One day he took me to Betsy Ross' House. Now I was a wee lad then and not too overly excited about seeing Betsy's house. Well we were walking up to the courtyard (Betsy's house was on our right, which is before the courtyard) and there is a door that exits out onto Arch Street (if you Google Betsy's house you'll see the white door that I am referring to). This door is now non-accessible and has been for a while, as they force everybody to enter and exit through the courtyard. However, back during the Bicentennial it was functional. Just as my grandfather and I walked past that door back in 1976, wham, we collided with IMO one of the most beautiful women of all-time . . . . Grace Kelly. What a wonderful women, cordial, apologetic, spoke with us about the Bicentennial, not like actors and actresses today who won't give you the time. And I remember her (and her entourage) walking away and waving to us and my grandfather saying, "best fellow, remember this day because you'll probably never meet a real princess in your lifetime again." Sadly, several years later she died in that awful car crash. I never have met another real princess, but oddly enough, I did go to high school with Grace Kelly's nephews. But you never know who you'll run into in downtown Philly.

Like I said, I highly recommend Philly to everybody. You can come here and start at one end of the block and get a cheesesteak, then walk a bit and get a soft pretzel, then walk some more and get some of the best water ice, etc., all while seeing where Benji, Georgie, Johnny, Tommy and the rest of the crew did their thing back in 1776. Just remember, when you order a cheesesteak here you have to tell the "guy" (everybody here has a "guy" or knows a "guy") I want it "wit" or "witout." "Wit" means you want onions, if not, "witout." And if the "guy" is not listening you say, "Yo, pal, I'm tryin' to get somtin' to eat here." You always say "Yo" when addressing somebody and if you're from North Philly and you're addressing a group of people you say, "Hey, yuse guys." And we don't "go to the beach in New Jersey" we go "donn'a sure for the weekend or on vacation."
    Gotta, that was a wonderful Grace Kelly story...loved it!

Thanks, Salmo! As you can tell, I have a soft spot for Grace Kelly.

Intrepid Explorer
    Way to go Bills. Also how about those Blue Jays, three out of four against the Yankees.

Ugh. Last night's Eagles game was truly depressing. You recovered yet Igotta?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast